REVIEW: Growing Pains by Patricia Thorpe

ocbird(9CA)August 31, 2004

A very funny and well written book about the "adolescent" and "mid-life crisis" of maturing gardens...

she grabbed my attention and gave me a laugh with the first chapter, where she writes...

"There are the early years when the trees are spindly and still have their labels fluttering in the wind.... then there are the years of encouragement . . . the short span during which perennials actually come back every year and the botrytis doesn't come back with them.... this is frequently a period of happy, headlong overexpansion when, buoyed by living evidence of our early success, we plunge heavily into roses...."

boy, can i relate!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WestEnder(z7 Atlanta GA)

That is a great quote.

Is it a book of essays?

Bookmark   October 4, 2004 at 3:33PM
ocbird(9CA)

nope, its more of a 'how to' guide for managing a developing garden. After the 1st couple of chapters, it becomes less unique, just the usual generic garden info.

Bookmark   October 5, 2004 at 5:45PM
drasaid(zone 8)

It does have some basic info, but some people (some of them are landscapers, too) need to be told it seems that not every plant is purchased, that age can be a good thing.
We have WAAAY too many clowns around here that come in and hack everything to the ground and then haul in the black nursery pots (in the Garden District, mind you, where there are such wonders as thirteen foot high boxwood TREES, not to mention the oaks which will die if too many roots are cut while you put in that pool that you'll never swim in.)

Bookmark   October 21, 2004 at 11:03PM
More Discussions
Have: FREE book for review
Hi everyone, I wrote a book on tropical gardening and...
statenislandpalm7a
HAVE: to trade: Book on Garden decor
"The Decorated Garden Room : Interior Design for...
GeorgiaGlamazon
antique "maund's botanic garden auctarium and flower re
Hello all. I am selling a very old copy of "MAUND'S...
maundfan
Ideas for Book
Recently my daughter and I wrote and published a book,...
charlieboring
HAVE: Success With House Plants
Hi, I know this has been posted a few times on this...
mollyxxcore
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™