Horsetail reeds for shade?

dietze4April 10, 2009

Hi all, I have a question for the reed experts out there. I found (in a sunny vacant lot) a small stand of horsetail reeds and would like to plant them into containers in a shaded area. Some sites claim this reed grows in shade. Does anyone have real world experience growing this in shade?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I have some experience with our native Equisetum hyemale, as well as the giant Equisetum.
I grow both in containers - E. hyemale above ground, E. giganteum below ground. Of the
two, the in-ground container tends to shoot up new spears about three weeks before the above
ground container. Incidentally, both are shooting right now, and the new growth is thick!

My E. hyemale was collected from a shady alder grove at about 5000' elevation. Now, however,
I grow it in a bit more sun - dappled light beneath oak and birch. The giant Equisetum grows
in the shade of several redwood trees. I think that these reeds will grow taller in the shade
(as they search for light), and more compact in the sun.

Also, Horsetail reeds can be grown in regular potting mix, with regular drainage. They don't
need standing water - in fact, I think they do better without it. I use a lot of small
gravel and perlite and pine bark in my potting mix, to simulate the roadsize drainage-ditch
conditions that Horsetail loves. I use Alaska brand fish emulsion to fertilize every few
waterings during the growing season.

If you want pics - type "horsetail" into the search box. I've littered this Forum with images.

Josh

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 11:37AM
More Discussions
Growing lotus from seed
I've created a small Web site showing photos of lotus...
glycera
newbie bog container garden questions
I have an old sink that I would like to set in the...
phf13
bog to filter small pond?
hello, so a few months back I built my first pond it's...
mushibu10
Duckweed in bog garden?
Can you put duckweed on very wet mud or does it have...
minxz
Another horsetail reed question
SO - I know all about horsetail (Equisetum hyemale)...
mamamermaid
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™