Pendula pink/rose

marricgardensMarch 12, 2010

I just bought 2 of these bulbs at a nursery with plans to put them in a hanging planter this spring. The package said they were good for hanging baskets but it also says they get 12" tall. I do have a spot picked out for them already. I would like to start them early inside, in the planter. How soon should I plant them? I'm thinking now would be good but I don't know how fast they will grow. The instructions say to plant 3" deep. Does that sound right? Any advice? Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikey33(5b Ont.)

Got this link from the web.

http://www.gardenguides.com/119-starting-tuberous-begonias-off-right.html

Remember to plant the concave side up. 3 inches is about right. You can start them inside if you have a nice sunny spot. They do grow big and quite fast. Now is probably a good time to start in Ontario. It's always iffy with the weather here. Last frost date is around May 24, but I usually have my plants out weeks before that. Your begonias will have a good head start if you plant them now.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 6:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

Thanks for the link mikey33. I planted them up right after I bought them. The 'tuber' that was in the pkg looks more like a large gladioli corm except that it is about 1/2" thick. I did plant as suggested and now I'm just wating for signs of growth. Thanks.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
ID please
I'm assuming this is a begonia, and here in zone 5...
drich30099
Breaking dormancy
All my B. grandis tubers are showing their 'eyes' as...
woebegonia
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
Rhizomatous Madame Queen and Black Truffle
A nursery was discounting their "annuals"....
linnea56
My Special Angel
I posted this in the house plants forum but thought...
Jessie Tyler
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™