WANTED: Does anyone know

cactus_cathy(z5/WI)October 29, 2004

Hi! Does anyone know of a comprehensive identification book covering ALL flowers. So many times I look at members trade lists and seeing a flower I don't know, try to look it up in my library of flower books. Needless to say it's never there. I already have:

The Complete Garden Flower Book

The American Horticultural Society Encyclopedia of Garden Plants

Great Plant Guide

Or am I wishing for something that isn't there?!!

Thanks, Cathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
The_Mohave__Kid(Nevada)

"Or am I wishing for something that isn't there?!! "

Yeah ... kinda ... it's important to narrow your search ... are you talking about cultivated or native plants ?? ... for example ... tropical or just the plants used in your state ... ect. .

It also depends on your level of experience ... some books are more precise then others but harder to use with out some botanical training ... by the way some plants don't have flowers ??

Here is a few books but there are many others out there .. I don't live in your area so do not know the local references ... it's rare a single book will cover everything ...

I see you like Cactii ... Anderson's , "The Cactus Family" is the latest and greatest work that covers the whole family ... lots of photographs.

"Hortus Third" is a very big and expensive book ... it is a comprehensive dictionary of cultivated plants grown in the United States and Canada ... this book would be very useful ... given that you already have a reliable name to work with common or scientific ( example from a members trade list ) ... it is a great place to start your research but it may not answer all your questions ... it's a big world out there !!

What kinds of plants are of interest to you ??

Good Day ...

Bookmark   October 30, 2004 at 4:52PM
Josh(z8a)

I've found Mark Griffiths' book "Index of Garden Plants" helpful to update Hortus III. My best reference these days though is to go to Google Images and query the name of a plant unfamiliar to me. Usually by visiting several of the sites provided I can find not only photos but cultural info.

And of course there's always Gardenweb..smile...I've learned almost every forum has several friendly helpful experts. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Griffiths' Index of Garden Plants

Bookmark   November 2, 2004 at 3:00AM
dustydigger(z4/5 NY)

I use "The Wise Garden Encyclopedia" by Harper Collins.. it covers everything!

~Dusty~

Bookmark   November 13, 2004 at 8:50PM
subrosa(PNW7 Canada)

A good reference website that lists plants by common or latin names is http://www.botany.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Botany Reference

Bookmark   March 6, 2005 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
know about flower book
want to know about flower book...
hmerrillb
HAVE: Erysimum cheiri - Wallflower - 150 seeds
This is an herbaceous perennial, often grown as a biennial,...
Feliks_Garden
HAVE: books books books
I've note the only damage that I saw as I was listing...
wilo
antique "maund's botanic garden auctarium and flower re
Hello all. I am selling a very old copy of "MAUND'S...
maundfan
HAVE: Lots of Books
Have: Home Orchid Growing by Rebecca Tyson Northen...
mamabear
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™