suggestions for a medium sized shrub that likes soggy feet?

jiggreen(zone 6b, carlisle PA)May 27, 2004

hi! not quite sure if i am posting this to the right forum...but here goes.....we have an area next to our front porch that i want to put a medium sized shrub in. i had ideas of what i wanted for that area, and had my husband dig the hole..the hole has been dug now for about 4 weeks ( i couldnt make up my mind on what plant to put there!) and i've noticed that this hole never drains completely. i have tried adding organic matter, enlarging the hole, and still its a mud puddle until the next rain when it becomes a pond again. i cannot modify the hole too much more as it is boxed in on 2 sides by porch and house and the other two sides by existing landscaping. if anyone has suggestions as to what i can put in there, please let me know. the area gets full sun until approximately 1pm, then its in shade as the sun moves over the house. i need something that will get maybe 3 feet wide by 5 foot high, and have some visual impact and in a perfect world...maybe some winter interest. also, the soil around the improved hole is clay, which i believe is leading to my drainage problem, but i cant redig entire bed. thanks in advance! jeana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strikegoldman(z7B GA)

How about a button bush (Cephalanthus occidentalis). This shrub is about five to ten feet in height, with distinctive spherical flower heads. Buttonbush blooms in June and July, followed by dark-colored fruits that persist through the winter. It normally lives in swamps and marshes, so wet feet don't pose a problem for it.

Bookmark   May 27, 2004 at 10:44AM
fredsbog

vote #2 for Button Bush!

You could also plant a weeping japanese larch (Larix kaempheri 'pendula'). A nice conifer with super soft needles that turn golden in fall before they fall off. Train it to the height you wish and it weeps down from there.

Bookmark   May 27, 2004 at 5:56PM
yjtj(5/6 NY)

a dappled willow would also be a good pick

Bookmark   May 27, 2004 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
Growing lotus from seed
I've created a small Web site showing photos of lotus...
glycera
Wattles in bloom?
Hey all. Are wattles blooming in your part of the country?...
wattle_Alex
I have a bog area, now what? please help ;)
Hi, We bought a house last summer that has about 1/2...
nunlef
My tiny bog garden
This was my first attempt at growing carnivorous plants....
timhensley_gw
Gunnera Support Group?
Against the odds (heat and humidity in Mid-Atlantic...
akebono
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™