Mini culture

korina(9b, Sunset 17)March 22, 2006

Hi; I have a few mini Begonias -- B. partita, B. Peridot, B. Tiger Princess, and B. Nigra-something (label dissolved, I'll look it up).

The Peridot is filling up a 4" pot, the rest in various pots. They look healthy but I've seen no blooms on anything. I use my AV mix, (1 part coconut coir, 1 part perlite, and 1 part vermiculite, with some hort. charcoal for chuckles) and they seem to like it; admittedly I feed them irregularly and probably too weakly. I keep all but the partita under fluorescents with my AVs (on the edges).

I'm confused about my partita; should the leaves be green or red? If they're green, it looks etiolated, and if they're red, they tend to look stressed and die. !!???

Any suggestions to make them happier? How snug in the pots should they be? How and how often should I feed them?

Thanks for any help.

Korina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mingtea(z9 Tucson)

hi korina,

B. partita should have green leaves and there may be a reddish area by the petiole. also, there is an elongated lobe on the leaf. a lot of people grow this plant as a bonsai, and it will eventually develop a caudex if you keep it constrained. how do you have it growing? i would give this one a space under your fluorescents, too!

as for B. bowerae nigramarga and probably 'Tiger Kitten,' i think anything with bowerae in it is pretty hardy and easy to grow. sounds like you have them in a good situation. i haven't grown 'Peridot,' so i don't have too many tips there. i weakly fertilize mine, too, but held off during the winter and my move. when i started up again, they seemed to really respond. i wouldn't worry about the lack of blooms as long as the rest of the plant seems happy.

-ming

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 1:53PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Hi Ming! Thanks for the help. Partita is in a window that gets some mostly direct sun during part of the year. It has a wonderful caudex and looks spectacular in it's rectangular clay bonsai pot. So the growth is supposed to be a bit 'rangy'? I'd kind of hoped it'd be more compact. It's still pretty nifty. I'd love to put it under lights, but they're all full up. Not only the AVs, other houseplants, and other begonias, but some orchids too. Time to re-evaluate my space again, I think.

Again, thanks for your response.

Korina

'Cheeeeese!' -Wallace

Bookmark   March 24, 2006 at 12:37PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Umm, Ming, would you perhaps be interested in some Peridot? It's very cute and easy. Heck, if I can grow it, *anyone* can.

Korina

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
New to Begonias and wondering what I have
I was at the Philadelphia Flower show and couldn't...
savannaicus
Blackmore & Langdon Begonia bulbs The Worst
I purchased 10 bulbs from early this spring directly...
spacehunter
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
started rhizome cutting...leaves shriveled
hello,i have a b.northern lights that has been sliding...
woollady
Winter Feeding of Rex Begonias
I am losing a couple of my Rex Begonias and wonder...
neuf
Sponsored Products
Orten'zia Table Lamp by Terzani
$965.00 | Lumens
Set of Two Comete Large Longdrink Glasses
$119.50 | FRONTGATE
Koko Company TOTEM 13 x 20 in. Pillow - 92006
$148.88 | Hayneedle
New Floral Design Ivory Oushak Veg Dyed 4'x6' HandKnotted Wool Turkish Rug H5608
BH Sun Inc
Oxford Stripe Runner 2'3" x 8' - BLUE/GREEN
$239.00 | Horchow
Josh 18-Inch Saffron Decorative Pillows, Set of 2
$52.95 | Bellacor
Nature's Calm Landscape Three-Piece Canvas Set
$99.99 | zulily
Amata Ceiling/Wall Light by Eurofase
$76.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™