Angel Wing Begonia browning and withering

dragonlillyMarch 16, 2013

I was fostering a friends plants for the winter in my greenhouse. One of the plants is this angel wing begonia... and I can't seem to get it to do anything but turn brown and wither up at the ends. I've researched all over the net only to finda inconsistant care instaqqructions. They need moist soil, they don't need moist soil, they need bright light, they don't like bright light. Im hoping someone can take a look at the photo and tell me what im doing wrong before its too late.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

It looks pretty close to death now but it may still be salvageable. First thing is a new pot, one that is a lot smaller like 4 inch if not smaller. Hopefully the roots aren't totally gone. Knock off the majority of the old soil and spray anything else off. Use a quality potting soil. Water in and don't water again until it dries some. Hopefully it will respond with the longer days and warmth.

If the roots are gone then you will have to determine if the stem is still viable enough for cutting. From the picture it only looks like the wayward branch is all you have to work with for a cutting and it looks doubtful.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 10:51PM
dragonlilly

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! Do you think I over watered it? Maybe it got too hot? Can you tell? There os another angel wing begonia in my greenhouse that is thriving. I treated them equally.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 2:16PM
hcmcdole(z7)

I don't have enough information to say what went wrong but I have a feeling the pot was too big and it got overwatered. Did it wilt and you watered it in response? If so, then you might've drowned it (I learned this lesson the hard way a few years ago).

If there was no sunburned leaves then I'd say it didn't get too hot. If it wilted during the hot time of the day then it is natural to wilt but if watered within a day (or so) it should perk right back up.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 2:43PM
dragonlilly

Okay. I will take your advice and do that right now. Thank you so much for your help. Fingers crossed.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Would love an ID on this begonia
I'm attaching 3 photos- hopefully First one is of...
lorabell NC
To re-pot Rexes or not?
As you can tell from the picture, I have three Rexes...
neuf
Anyone have b.grandis bulbils for swap or SASE?
I would very much like to try these if anyone has a...
rredbbeard
Cool photo editing for rex type begonias
Just ran across something I did a few years back and...
hcmcdole
Begonia started from seed BUT no tuber grown???
I started a couple of tuber Begonias from seed this...
started_with_bean
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™