Starting stored tuberous begonas in pots

linnea56(z5 IL)March 21, 2006

Last fall I brought in all my tuberous begonias that were planted in pots and put them in the cool basement windows. They were interplanted with annuals but I figured those would die, and the begonias would be dormant under the soil. I started out watering with good intentions but gradually stopped. (It's the basement, have to carry water down. Sooner or later I forget they're there.) Now everything looks dead. My mother used to store hers every winter in the basement, but I don't remember any details.

Do you think the begonias are alive under the dirt? Is it worth while starting to water again?

When I planted these outside in their pots last May, they took so long to sprout I thought they were duds. That's partly why annuals were planted over them. So if starting earlier gets me bloom, I'll try it. How do I tell if these are dead?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cybersunday(z5 ca)

Just touch the bulb, if it is firm, it will grow, if it turned to mush, just discard it. I always start my begonias in pots. Do not have them burried to deep, just cover them slightly with soil and they will take off. I used to do a different method,starting them in the dark but found out this was just a waste of time.

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 9:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linnea56(z5 IL)

Since the dirt in the pots in totally dry, they probably won't be mushy. Maybe shrivelled up?

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 6:55PM
More Discussions
Is Blackmore & Langdon begonia tuber worth it ?
Any one try Blackmore & Langdon tuber? Are they...
mymanga
Where to buy escargot begonia
Does anyone know where I can buy escargot begonia for...
organic_suzie
need help to ID plants... newbie to begonias
hi from the philippines! i chanced upon this collection...
rica_ph
Cool photo editing for rex type begonias
Just ran across something I did a few years back and...
hcmcdole
Rhizomatous Madame Queen and Black Truffle
A nursery was discounting their "annuals"....
linnea56
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™