Help to Propagate

msalex28aMarch 30, 2008

I've tried putting stems in water and I've tried cutting up the leaf into peices and placing it in soil and still noting. I feel bad asking my friend for new cuttings. Any other techniques that might work better?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beetle_2007(3)

The only way that worked for me, with tuberous begonia cuttings, was to dip the cut end into rooting powder [for soft cuttings]. I also left about two nice leaves on the cutting, and did not cover the pot with plastic. Keep this fairly moist but not soggy, and you may have success. This cutting stayed growing for two years, and has bloomed each year.

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 7:26PM
hcmcdole(z7)

I think the most important thing is humidity - do keep them covered while rooting. You can experiment with different types of media - Perlite is probably one of the best, a mix of good potting soil and Perlite, but you can also use shredded bark, sand, gravel, etc. Water rooting works well with most cuttings but not all. Again cover cuttings with a baggie or other clear plastic container EVEN IN WATER. Place as close to indoor lights as possible or in a bright window (not direct sun but this isn't necessarily true either).

Anyway here is a link that might help:

Starting new begonias from cuttings

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 8:12PM
msalex28a

Do you have a picture of any begonias rooting in water?

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 9:20PM
bubba62

I've found tuberous varieties much more difficult to root than others, I think because their stems have a much higher water content. I'd recommend taking cuttings farther down on the stem (they need to be very firm), using a fugicide dip (rooting powder contains this, and I believe it's more helpful than the hormones included), and inserting them in a moist, but not soggy, sand/perlite mix with very little peat at first. Cut off the distal ends of large leaves, and enclose with a loose cover to provide some humidity (but not enough to cause condensation which will drip onto the plant and cause rot). I definitely wouldn't try rooting these in water, and I've never heard of success using leaf cuttings of tuberous begonias.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 3:46AM
hcmcdole(z7)

I agree with bubba if you are propagating tuberous (guess it helps to know what they are trying to propagate). It does seem a lot harder to root than other types of begonias but Perlite is one media that has worked for me in the past. I wish I could find the web site that shows a lot of success with propagating tuberous by leaf cuttings - they make it look so easy.

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 8:25AM
msalex28a

The one I were trying to propagate were Rex's.

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 2:29PM
hcmcdole(z7)

I found the web site that shows how to propagate a tuberous begonia from a leaf cutting (really a modified leaf cutting).

Scottish web site

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 3:50PM
railroadrabbit(7b - Atlanta)

I saw leaf propagation demonstrated by a nurseryman from Parks Seed Co in SC. He propagates thousands of cuttings each year. He said he uses a good/quality potting mix (looked like peat/pearlite type of mix). He placed a wick through the bottom of the pot up into the soil so watter could absorb from a tray below the pot, rather than top watering. He also recommended a humidity dome with a couple of holes to allow for some air movement--said stale air breeds disease and is a major enemy of propagation. His demonstration dome looked like about 8" x 12" and had a couple of 1" square holes with adjustable openings.

He fills the rooting pot to the top edge of the pot with the mix so there are no "pockets of uneven humidity" that can breed disease on the cuttings.

Never use scissors for cutting! Scissors crush the cells leading to disease. Place the leaf upside down and cut with a very sharp knife. Cut the leaf into several segments between the veins.

Stick the cutting into the pot and firm the mix around it.

Then he puts in indirect light such as on a sun porch or near a window covered by shears--NOT in any direct sun at all.

He also noted that "cane-type begonias" (segmented stem sections) cannot be leaf propagated. Take a cutting with two or three leaves and root stem directly in moist potting mix in the humidity dome.

Also, below is a link from a previous thread from 2005 titled "Begonia propagation for newbies". It has photos that may be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/begonia/msg1022105325400.html

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 9:55PM
More Discussions
need help to ID plants... newbie to begonias
hi from the philippines! i chanced upon this collection...
rica_ph
So i can stick a leaf with stem into soil to root? correct?
I failed at trying to root leaf cutting in october. I...
tlbean2004
Cool photo editing for rex type begonias
Just ran across something I did a few years back and...
hcmcdole
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
My Special Angel
I posted this in the house plants forum but thought...
Jessie Tyler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™