Landscape begonia for S. Florida

teka2rjleffel(z10FL)March 27, 2010

I am interested in a dark, preferrably with some maroon on it begonia that will do well here in the ground. I'd like it to get big too.Can you suggest some varieties. I don't care about the flowers, I have roses for that. I am more interested in foliage and size.

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jane_in_bristol(5)

Hi Nancy,

here is a link to an article about Begonias in the ground in S. Florida at the bottom of this post.

B. acetosa has a lovely dark red reverse on its leaf, and the top side is a velvety olive color. Its got a groundcover-type growth pattern, given to sprawling and rambling. I'm not sure how cold-tolerant it is, so you may want to bring cuttings in for the winter as a safety measure, but I've seen picts of it as a groundcover in one of the Begonian Magazine issues, and it was lush and lovely.

There is a medium sized, quick-growing variety which has shown up in a number of nicer nurseries lately called B. 'Black Coffee'. Its a rhizomatous with star shaped, nearly black-burgundy leaves, and is a very strong grower. Here is a close-up picture (wish they had a larger pict, its much more impressive)
http://www.taylorgreenhouses.com/begonia-black-coffee.html

And look through the Palm Hammock begonias - he grows in Florida, so you know they've got a good chance to do well for your area, too.

http://palmhammockorchidest.tripod.com/BegList.html

Best of Luck!
-Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: ABS article on landscape Rhizomatous Begonias

Bookmark   April 24, 2010 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
Begonias in Miracle Gro Orchis mix?
So I was bored today and decided to replace 2 of my...
Nick Robinson
Angel-wing Begonia drops leaves
My angel-wing begonia is huge and has flowered many...
safron4
Small Red Rex
I have this remnant of a plant I bought at Lowes...it...
suyoder
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
Where to buy escargot begonia
Does anyone know where I can buy escargot begonia for...
organic_suzie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™