old sink bad for a bog?

ilbasso_74May 8, 2006

I just replaced my kitchen sink and was noticing that the old one, while shallow, could be placed in the ground and used as a shallow mini bog. It already has 2 nice drain holes. I'm not sure what it is made of (haven't had a chance to really look at it). I don't know if rust is from faucets and pipes and such or if it is the sink. I'm hesitant to put my carnivores in it.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yarthkin(6-7a)

I think it would probably work fine as long a there isn't copper. Iron/rust isn't a problem, as there is a naturally high iron content to most bogs. In fact, they used to mine iron from bogs there was so much of it.

Copper is a different story. It can be damaging to plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: More about Bog Iron...

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 2:45PM
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

Why not? Sounds funky!

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 1:22PM
terrestrial_man(9)

You could also set it into a legged frame and have it in a nice display on the patio or whereever and actually not close off the drains but use a loose fitting drain plug so that the water will leak out and you could collect it. That way you could flood it and when it drains all out flood it again or even let it dry just a tad! Drainage is important in the bog!! My Sarrencia psittacina is only in a one gallon pot that I flood and it drains out and it is doing great. (will get around to images soon i hope!)
Plants that like it higher in the sphagnum such as VFT will do very well and you could even vary the height of the media using rocks or what have you to make the surface uneven so that the lower spots will stay wetter longer.

Bookmark   May 10, 2006 at 3:06AM
More Discussions
Arum lily
I have a very moist, very shady spot next to my water...
nightinggale
Another horsetail reed question
SO - I know all about horsetail (Equisetum hyemale)...
mamamermaid
Duckweed in bog garden?
Can you put duckweed on very wet mud or does it have...
minxz
rotted logs for peat in bog garden
I have a non-working pond with a liner covered with...
kitasei
Lysimachia thyrsiflora-Wanted
I'm looking for plants or seed of this wetland plant...
wildflowerman_2000
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™