Begonia, Richardsiana help

birdsnbloomsMarch 23, 2010

I purchased a baby, 4-5", Richardsina 8-9 yrs ago..as soon as roots filled its 2" pot 'it was shipped in,' I potted in a bonsai container. It grew like a weed, and flowered from spring well into fall yearly.

It's pruned a couple times a year, mainly to keep from growing every-which-way, given away many cuttings, 'since I prefer not to discard healthy growth.'

I don't know if I pruned too early, but after its haircut, it stopped growing, totally! Instead of new growth, leaves are dropping. It's evergreen not decidious.

Could I have killed it by pruning too early? Or is it something entirely different? It gets fertilizer and Superthrive during growing season.. Since it's on the ledge of a kitchen window, I hose foliage once or twice a week, without wetting soil. Any ideas? Thanks, Toni

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docgipe

Hydrate the soil. Maintain dampness. Sounds to me like you are short on water about seven days a week. Sounds to me like your plant needed all the pruned off just to catch and hold on to the minimal watering you were giving it.

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 8:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Doc, you misunderstood..lol. I meant I hosed 'foliage' once or twice a wk..I water 'soil' when it's barely dry, like I've been doing the last 8-9 yrs..Soil is watered every 3 days or so, depending on whether it's moist or dry. Plus, the pot is sitting on pebbles with a little water, but not so roots sit in water or sucked up via drainage holes..

In the meantime, the top leaves look lifeless..The main trunk is firm, so I doubt the plant is dead..new stems are growing from the side, but I normally remove side-growth, so the plant looks tree-shaped.

I'm running out of ideas..Maybe it needs fresh soil? I'm at a loss..thanks, Toni

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
New to Begonias and wondering what I have
I was at the Philadelphia Flower show and couldn't...
savannaicus
Begonias in Miracle Gro Orchis mix?
So I was bored today and decided to replace 2 of my...
Nick Robinson
Would love an ID on this begonia
I'm attaching 3 photos- hopefully First one is of...
lorabell NC
Blackmore and Langdon Begonias from seed
I started B&L begonias from seed on Dec 15. Most...
Solomon Dang-Goldberg
Blackmore & Langdon Begonia bulbs The Worst
I purchased 10 bulbs from early this spring directly...
spacehunter
Sponsored Products
Sabrina Rug 4' x 6' - BLACK/BEIGE
$199.90 | Horchow
Dove Towel Bar
Signature Hardware
Yosemite Home Decor Sideboard Cabinet
Overstock.com
Lucan Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Orleans Outdoor Loveseat Cover
$109.50 | FRONTGATE