Wax Begonias wilting

iprncessMarch 5, 2011

About a week ago I planted some wax begonias. They had been doing so well, but two days ago they started to wilt and sort of "lay down". I'm extremely new to gardening so I don't know if I should pull them all up and buy more or if they could be saved. I had some last year and loved them. I'd hate to see them die after a week. Can they be saved? A picture is below...

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woebegonia

That's an interesting picture, the leaves don't look too bad. If it isn't from overwatering it might be that they need a bit of protection after being re-planted into the ground. I think I would rig something up to shade them for a few days, no direct sun in other words, they may snap out of it. I have a neighbor who puts cut off bleach bottles on everything she puts in the ground because she worries about the effect direct sun might have on new plants. I do it myself sometimes, it can be a good idea and our spring weather here is likely a lot cooler than yours. Good luck!

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 7:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Are those in full sun? The green-leaved, pink-flowered wax begonias do better in shade. The red-leaved (burgundy-leaved), pink or white-flowered ones do fine in full sun.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 11:25PM
More Discussions
Breaking dormancy
All my B. grandis tubers are showing their 'eyes' as...
woebegonia
New to Begonias and wondering what I have
I was at the Philadelphia Flower show and couldn't...
savannaicus
Blackmore & Langdon Begonia bulbs The Worst
I purchased 10 bulbs from early this spring directly...
spacehunter
Winter Feeding of Rex Begonias
I am losing a couple of my Rex Begonias and wonder...
neuf
Blackmore and Langdon Begonias from seed
I started B&L begonias from seed on Dec 15. Most...
Solomon Dang-Goldberg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™