What is the academic reasons for why only some grafts work?

albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)January 20, 2014

Persons grafting usually use similar plants, citrus on citrus etc.

What are the biological obstructions to grafting wildly different plants? Few would even try to graft a plumb onto a redwood. Is the problem anatomical, physiological, genetic? What might they have said had I asked this question at the university?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

How weird, my post to this thread has disappeared.

Basically, I had said that it's physiological and genetic, depending on how you use the words. When plants are grafted together, the cambium and phloem cells have to join at the graft. The cells along the graft will even exchange some genetic material. Even plants from different genera have been grafted successfully, but that's much rarer than intraspecific and interspecific grafting.

If I were going to ask a similar question at school, I'd rephrase it something like, "Can you explain the specifics of what determines which species and genera can be grafted together successfully?" While you're at it, you might ask them to cover what makes some grafts fail after an initial, seemingly successful period. If you ask, come back and tell us what they said, so we can discuss their input.

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 10:19PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

brandon7, your post did not disappear, rather I asked again on a different forum.

I had a citrus grafting class at ASU in 1967 and they may have answered my question and in the short time that has elapsed I just forgot.

I found a University of Missouri publication that offers descriptions in terms of species and genus and family but not a word about anatomy or physiology.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 4:01PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

OOOOOOOh. I was wondering if I had lost it (even more so than normal). LOL

There are multiple scientific papers on the subject and some can be found on Google. Unfortunately, many may require paying (boy I hate those pay-to-read sites).

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 7:25PM
lord_of_the_green(Argentina z9)

I posted some similar question yesterday just in case it can be useful for your list of compatible plants.

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Population (genetic) diversity in home landscaping?
Hi, My question concerns: how long a perennial wildflower...
njbiology
Franklinia alatamaha
Maybe this query should go in the Propagation or Native...
Josh
Cold stratification & "tricking" seeds
Was originally posted here, in the Growing from Seed...
actionclaw
Can Plants Absorb Water Through Their Leaves?
Forgot what they taught me in school years ago! Sometimes...
andyamp
Plant Sciences major, and job availability in the south east
I'm aiming to major in botany horticulture or plant...
gardenapprentice
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™