Tree begonia??

jarrett622March 12, 2006

A friend of mine brought me a rescued plant. The poor thing was dry and dying. It has leaves shaped like my angel wing begonia only solid, glossy green. The plant itself is huge for a begonia (about 3 foot tall stalks/stems) but it *is* one as I can see where the blooms will be just as with any regular begonia. Does anyone know what type this might be and what I can do to care for it? It's revived, what's left of it, after a good water drench.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

Amazing what a little water will do, isn't it? Sound to me like a cane (angel wing) begonia allright, but I wouldn't hazard a guess without more information or a picture, and not necessarily then! There are so many begonias, and quite a number will get tall. I have a fond memory of a gardening friend visiting when my 'Lucerna', planted in the ground, was full of bloom and about five feet tall. He glanced over at it, and then did a really classic double-take--'it's real!' I didn't say he ought to know me well enough to know that. You might enjoy looking at pictures on the American Begonia Society website. Maybe you'd spot your new beauty.

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 12:22AM
hcmcdole(z7)

Here is a very tall maculata at the national convention a couple of weeks ago. That is my wife beside it and she is 5 foot tall.

There were taller canes at Palm Hammock but this one was wonderfully grown. Shame the lighting was so poor at the show though.

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 8:49AM
jarrett622

About 15 minutes into googling and viewing I began to see that I may never get an exact name for this one...or at least not until it blooms. LOL!

So I guess one takes care of this begonia as with any other: Bright, indirect light and don't let it dry out completely.

Thanks you two! I appreciate it. And the angelwing is *gorgeous* no matter the lighting! :-)

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 10:19AM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I'd suggest you try a little sunshine--maybe dappled shade--to encourage bloom. Some folks even grow them in full sun in the summer outside, but that would be too much here I think. You know your climate. A sunny window would be good, tho' possibly back a little if it's hot. The rhizomatous begonias do fine with 'bright indirect', but canes need more light to prevent stretching and help bloom.

Bookmark   March 14, 2006 at 10:59PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

And I meant to say--that's a great and highly appropriate photo, Butch. I remember at my first begonia convention seeing a number of begonias like that. Took my breath away. Not sure I've regained it!

Bookmark   March 14, 2006 at 11:02PM
More Discussions
My Special Angel
I posted this in the house plants forum but thought...
Jessie Tyler
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
started rhizome cutting...leaves shriveled
hello,i have a b.northern lights that has been sliding...
woollady
ID please
I'm assuming this is a begonia, and here in zone 5...
drich30099
baby Rex begonias limp after transplanting
I was getting excited that my leaf babies had managed...
fieldofflowers
Sponsored Products
Rose Tree Season's Greetings 18-inch Napkins (Set of 6)
Overstock.com
Plaid Dupioni Ruffled Ribbon
Grandin Road
Alessi | Fruit Mama Fruit Holder
$265.00 | YLighting
New Veg DyedPakistani Peshawar Ivory Chobi Square Hand Knotted Wool Rug H6054
BH Sun Inc
Uttermost Camillus Mirror
Beyond Stores
Good Ideas Rain Wizard 300 Gallon Rain Barrel - RW300-KHA
$587.89 | Hayneedle
Signature Sweetgrass Pendant - Begonia Flame Style Glass with Brown Hardware