Thistle Population Study

madrunr11January 24, 2014

I am currently conducting a genetic study on Cirsium hillii. This rare thistle reproduces both sexually and asexually. Within the one population, we identified where 'clumps' (expected) were and took GPS coordinates in order to study the genetic makeup of the population (are all the plants clones or not). Is there a more appropriate term for these 'clumps' of plants? Center of Abundance? Cluster? Clone Center? These previous terms are just some I thought might best describe it, but I would like to be as accurate as I can in my thesis.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO

If it were me, I'd designate each clump as a "group" such as "group A" "Group 1" or however you want to do it. I can't think of a scientific term for a bunch of thistle clones. I think group would be appropriate enough though.

    Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 12:56PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Plant ID needed!
Can you please ID this plant for me? It is potted in...
Chinese Bottle Gourd: Double Ovary?
Hi, the plant in question is the Chinese bottle gourd,...
Brassicaceae and Cruciferae
Do Brassicaceae and Cruciferae mean the same? Apparently...
The Tetragonostachys of the USA
Interested in the Tetragonostachys? While often seen...
Plant Sciences major, and job availability in the south east
I'm aiming to major in botany horticulture or plant...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™