Lowering the chilling requirement science

HappyBallz(9A/B Valrico,Florida)January 22, 2012

Hi guys/gals I am quiet interested how exactly do people develop low-chill variety fruiting plants? I tried searching the internet pretty hard and there seem to be nothing that explains this!

I would love to experiment on developing my own lower-chill varieties of fruiting plants! For example currant/gooseberry/cherry.

Does this involve constantly re-grafting buds/sticks or to a low-chill variety plant or slowly reducing chill hours every year?

What exactly defines/determines the chilling hours of a plant? Is this requirement embedded in the roots or main wood and branches?

I know our climate does change very gradually over very extended period of time so the plants have to adopt some-how and I'm trying to understand exactly how and how to employ this process for my benefit.

I know this should be possible since plant propagators do develop low-chill Peaches(University of Florida)/Cherries(Dave Wilson) with a certain process, and I want to know the process/different ways to do it :D.

Any books or links, advice, or info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

It's not an adaptation; it's part of the genetics of the plant. You don't make a tree into a low-chill cultivar, you select/breed an individual for that characteristic. On grafted trees (apples, etc) it's a function of the scion, not the rootstock.

Bookmark   January 22, 2012 at 12:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

My last sentence above is not really correct. I should have said:
On grafted trees, chilling requirements are primarily a function of the scion, but also influenced to various degrees by the rootstock. Proper selection of rootstock is an important factor in fruit-tree production for tropical areas.

Bookmark   January 22, 2012 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
What are they?
Hi gardeners, I just went to empty the scrap bucket...
tonyjugoslav
Can Plants Absorb Water Through Their Leaves?
Forgot what they taught me in school years ago! Sometimes...
andyamp
have you seen Coppertone loquat?
I recently purchased some "Coppertone loquat"...
serenoa
grafting compatibility
Hi, is there any logic about matching rootstock and...
lord_of_the_green
Cannabis regeneration technique
I'm looking to get some opinions on the below questions...
yolanda89
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™