Colocasia antiquorum 'Illustris' in trouble

Eric55(5)May 30, 2005

Hi everyone,

IÂve had this Colocasia antiquorum 'Illustris' for 9 months. It has grown nicely under an 800 watt grow light (October-March) and then a West-facing window for the past 2 months.

I am having a problem with drooping stems. Sometimes the stems fold over and then I have to cut off the stem. The photos show it all.

The plant is in good, rich soil and I keep it very moist. Sometimes there are drops of water coming from the leaf tips after I water the plant.

Can anyone tell me if I am giving it too much water or perhaps not enough food or light?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 photos

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Josh(z8a)

Eric, during the winter months I sometimes experience this with this plant. It just gets east window light and I keep just moist, even letting it dry out just a bit between watering. (Always rather lose a leaf from underwatering than to risk root rot and lose whole plant). The new leaves get smaller and the older leaves droop. But it goes outside in shade in summer and loves the heat (in 80's now, later will be in 90's here). Sits in a deep saucer of water which sometimes dries out for a few hours, but I'd say it is kept very moist. And already lots of new larger deeper colored leaves on strong stems.

So are you using airconditioner? With moist soil may be feelng a bit chilly especially at night. Is there no possibility of putting outside for summer? Outside light even in shade is just so much brighter and that warm temp is just what's needed.

If you can't put outside I think I'd cut back on water a little, use no fertilizer, and place in warmest spot with good light. Then see how it goes.
Good luck...josh

Bookmark   May 30, 2005 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Is our 'boggy' area a Fen or Bog?
We have a very wet area just below the house. We were...
FireTrailFarm
Blooming season of Mini Lotus - many pictures
White with deep purple tips, not 'picotee' but what...
jujujojo_gw
Lysimachia thyrsiflora-Wanted
I'm looking for plants or seed of this wetland plant...
wildflowerman_2000
Ligularia tractor seat
I am looking for a Ligularia tractor seat plant, I...
stimey
Another horsetail reed question
SO - I know all about horsetail (Equisetum hyemale)...
mamamermaid
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™