It is Warming up!?

ronalawn82(z9FL)January 27, 2012

There is a new 'Zone Hardiness' map

HERE.

I wonder if there is a true warming trend or have the seed producers (subconsciously?) selected crossings for cold hardiness?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

True warming trend (of course we've known that for some time now) in addition to shifting planetary weather patterns (current shifting trend has been around for at least a few decades now). The new map is just an attempt to catch up with reality.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 9:02AM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

brandon7, you make a valid point but do you have an opinion on the plant breeding and selection aspect?

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 4:14PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I'm kinda drawing a blank here Ronalawn. Are you asking if plant breeders will change their objectives as their climate, or as the national climate pattern, changes? If so, yes, it will probably have a small impact. Breeders may be somewhat less concerned about cold hardiness and more concerned about heat tolerance or other factors. I doubt the map, specifically, will change that though. Most of us plant people have been aware of the changes for a long time, so the map doesn't really change our plans. It can help us more quickly identify zones for corresponding places though, so, in that way, may give us a bigger, clearer picture.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 10:42PM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

brandon7, a long time ago I visited a site in Florida where they observe many varieties of bedding plants in the field. I believe that they report the 'grades' to some central site which puts it all together for use by architects, growers etc. I'm thinking that that cold hardy varieties might be identified in this way and the species might be introduced into a "lower" zone, not because the temperature there has increased, but because the new plant has been selected for its performance in the lower temperature.
I once read that there is a wider variety of trees in North America because the mountain ranges run mostly North/South and the vegetation had opportunity to adapt to the advancing ice(age). In Europe, where the mountains run East/West, the vegetation on the leeward side had no time to adapt when the ice came "over the mountain" as it were; and they were wiped out in a short time.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 3:40PM
freki(5a)

"I wonder if there is a true warming trend or have the seed producers (subconsciously?) selected crossings for cold hardiness?"

"or"? that should be "and".

There is no question that there is a warming trend.
AND
There is no question that breeders want to "open new markets"

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
What are they?
Hi gardeners, I just went to empty the scrap bucket...
tonyjugoslav
Changes in Flowering Time
Hello! I'm a postdoc at Harvard, studying flowering...
curiousmachine
fyi, ubc botanical garden forums has a plant science forum
Plants: Science and Cultivation Disregard. Almost no...
albert_135
Chinese Bottle Gourd: Double Ovary?
Hi, the plant in question is the Chinese bottle gourd,...
Johnleprekan
Why would flower colour change?
I know that some plants, such a hydrangea can change...
adidas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™