Orange eggs in chive soil

Kahavens(9)October 27, 2013

Hello! I'm new to gardening and I am building a container garden, but I have been facing a major pest issue. Aphids, loopers, spider mites, you name it. I've got in under control in most of my containers, but I just discovered a major problem. In my biggest container I have a chive transplant that I bought at home depot, and I also planted spinach and green onion seeds. Symptom 1: The seeds never grew.

I replanted a few seeds today and investigated the planter. Symptom 2: In the stiff outer transplant soil (not the soil surrounding it in the planter), there are tons of little orange balls. I assume their eggs. I've also seen a lot of small bugs in there, both aphids and spider mites, but I think moreso aphids... at least I think they're aphids. I'm worried the whole planter might be infested.

I started using an oil/dishsoap/water pesticide, but I'm not sure what to do about the eggs.

So my questions are: 1) Are these aphid eggs? 2) how do I kill the eggs? Do I need to pull out the transplant completely? Please help!

Note: I used my macro camera lens to take pictures of the eggs. They eggs are about the size of the tip of a pen or smaller.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Are you sure they're eggs and not time-release fertilizer like Osmocote? Hard or soft? Can you squish 'em? Have you seen anything hatch out?

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
Best place to buy trees?
I need a new queen palm and would like a palo blanco....
cms9323
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™