Botany degrees

PsmallwoJanuary 25, 2012

Hello all. I am currently working on my bachelor degree in general biology. I have an interest in plants and I am wondering if a general biology degree would be an acceptable bachelor if I am considering going on to graduate school and trying to get either a masters or PhD in botany? All insight would be helpful. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrestrial_man(9)

You did not mention your current grade level. Hopefully you are just starting out! You really need to get a more concise handle on what area of botany you are interested in. This is vital in approaching a doctorate program. While a general bio major may be helpful and may be all that is available to you at your current university, you need to determine what school, if different, you want to pursue a Masters and subsequently a doctorate degree at.
Knowing this you can examine their mimimal requirements for acceptability and can adjust your major accordingly.
For botany you should have at least some organic chemistry, statistical analysis, taxonomy, and probably some environmental or ecological courses as well. Other courses that can aid in your studies would include geology related courses and of course computer courses that teach the use of the current programs that you would be using in future botany courses or needed for qualifying for a job.
Whatever you do do not wait but act as soon as you can to learn about your own interests. Avoid what others may direct you to unless the field is of interest to you and within your range of understanding. Do get started NOW1

Here is a link that might be useful: CHECK THIS LINK OUT THOROUGHLY!

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 11:45PM
Psmallwo

Thanks for the website and insight. My current degree does have most of the classes you are talking about already incorporated into it, except for the geology courses. Also, I am in my second year of college, though I have spent a majority of this time getting my core out of the way.

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 9:03PM
terrestrial_man(9)

Sounds good. Good luck in your endeavor. It can be tough if you really are unsettled on just what direction you want to go in. And it is really impossible to know. Hindsight is always better but somewhat impossible to have beforehand!!
One of the main difficulties will prove to be assessing what a longterm INTEREST will prove to be. What may attract you now may prove to become tedium later.
Socrates was really on the mark with his statement: "KNOW THYSELF."
Though even when you are an old codger you may still wonder!

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
when is pollen viable...morning, evening, both?
I've been hand pollinating some fruit trees this year,...
jbclem
Cannabis regeneration technique
I'm looking to get some opinions on the below questions...
yolanda89
grafting compatibility
Hi, is there any logic about matching rootstock and...
lord_of_the_green
Cold stratification & "tricking" seeds
Was originally posted here, in the Growing from Seed...
actionclaw
What is the academic reasons for why only some grafts work?
Persons grafting usually use similar plants, citrus...
albert_135
Sponsored Products
Tolomeo Wall Shade Mount
Lightology
Brass Pipe 45 Degree Elbow
Signature Hardware
Armen Living Patrick 26 in. Swivel Counter Stool - Espresso - LCMBS404BAES26
$215.82 | Hayneedle
Glass Sinks Multi Colored Glass Goldfish Glass Vessel Sink Round
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
FJ LED ISO 20 Deg 27K 80CRI
Lightology