Leaf 'Tipping'.

ronalawn82(z9FL)February 16, 2008

Leaf tipping must be the most widespread "symptom" on plants; even artificial plants are showing up with it. I have seen it in the wild, in commercial crops and in ornamental settings; in all shapes, sizes shades and tints.

And my question is, why the leaf tip?

I cannot find a reasonable explanation for the phenomenon and I was wondering if there is one at all.

Can we brainstorm this question here? Elsewhere?

Thanks for your input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pineresin

Not sure what you mean! (and doesn't look like anyone else is, either). Can you clarify?

Resin

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 5:28AM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

pineresin, sometimes I myself am not clear about what I mean. The recurring question in my mind is, why the leaf tip? There is no special reason why it should not be the entire leaf margin. There are no specialized cells in this area. I have seen the drop of water at the tip of the tomato leaf and thought that maybe the cells at the tip of the leaf were like a membranous filter, allowing only water to pass outward while the 'filtrates' remained, concentrating and causing a 'salt scorch'. But the leaf transpires at other sites and the discoloration is absent therefrom. To be sure there are many conditions which give rise to characteristic tipping; by looking at the recent cultural practices one can deduce the probable cause(s). The tipping to which I refer is ubiquitous. There is no rhyme or reason to it.
But I continue to be nagged by the thought that there is an explanation. There must be!

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 6:59PM
botanybabe

I always thought that leaves had tips on them to deliver the water to the root zone and away from the stems and crowns where rot could set in.

But I've also been told over and over that botany has changed since I learned it so the fact that this explanation makes sense, may have very little to do with the actual function. You be the judge.

Now if you mean why do leaf tips get scorched instead of the rest of the leaf, then I suggest that on many plants, the tips are a bit thinner, and the sun tends to hit them harder. But the truth is, there are probably many reasons for "leaf tipping" as you call it. I don't think this is a botannical term, however.

Then again, maybe I don't understand your question at all.

Lainey

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 6:56PM
laurabs(7b)

Most exposed to air, dryness, or wetness? Most likely to rest on the soil? Most likely to be landed on and sampled by insects?

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 10:20PM
queuetue(5a)

If by leaf "tipping", you mean some form of pervasive damage to the leaf tip, the tip is thinner (as botanybabe mentioned) and has less support structures in it - leaf edges also have the largest surface area to volume ratio, so absorbs and dries faster, and the tip is "all edge".

Also, I'd say the tip is a smaller area, and damage you see there is more obvious than on another parts - "leaf tipping", if it's what I think you mean, may be partly perceptual.

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 8:57AM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

Many thanks for your thoughts!
Here's what I have observed on plants grown indoors.
The discoloration:
is black and limp. Overwatered; 2 to 3 weeks to develop.
is brown and crisp. Dried out too long.
has an almost phosphorescent yellow band between it and healthy leaf tissue. A puzzlement!
most times follows the leaf tip shape . No clue!
It is an indication of my life ( as in 'get a life!') that I should be fascinated by this. If I could understand why the leaf tip tissue is so reactive to such conditions, I might be better able to interpret the cause of what I see.
I have thought that the tissue in this area is oldest and that Mother Nature in her conservative way is drawing down on moisture and nutrients before shedding the leaf.
But this does not explain why the flow seems to go the other way sometimes.

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 5:41AM
More Discussions
What is the academic reasons for why only some grafts work?
Persons grafting usually use similar plants, citrus...
albert_135
Cannabis self pollination effects on hermaphrodite tendencies.
Colorado we have legal rights to grow and breed Marijuana/hemp....
farmerlino
A Question about hybrid vegatable seeds...
Hello all. I feel that this is very basic and that...
gata
ok to grow an entire poplation of plants from one motherplant?
If i were to buy a single flowering, hardy pond plant,...
njbiology
reccomended plant science educational books to read
Hey everyone, looking for some plant science book recommendations...
zjharrison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™