Which begonia likes it the dryest?

Gardener972(7b-8a DFW)April 24, 2009

I have a west window that has textured glass in it so it MIGHT work for a begonia that like some sun. What's your opinion?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bubba62

"Dry" and "sunny" are two different parameters; you can control the moisture retention with potting techniques and composition of the planting medium. I can't think of too many Begonias that don't prefer to dry out between waterings; I heard someone on a gardening podcast yesterday refer to begonias as succulents. It's never occurred to me, but they do have a lot of water-storing adaptations. As far as light goes, most will do well with bright light, but you'll need to experiment to keep the foliage from burning. The semperflorens types grow here in full, blazing sun, especially the varieties with bronze leaves. I wouldn't try the rex or other rhizomatous varieties with big leaves in too sunny a location, and some tuberous varieties might object more to the heat generated by such a location than to the light itself. You'll also need to make sure that humidity remains high, or spider mites can become a real problem indoors.

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 3:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul_(z5 MI)

My tuberous begonia was outside all summer on my balconey last year. Got full sun from morning until around 1-2 pm. No leaf burn but I did notice that the flowers always bloomed down amongst the foliage. After a short rest, it started blooming indoors late winter. The flower stalks reached beyond the foliage so apparently high light can impact flower stalk length.

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
Blackmore & Langdon Begonia bulbs The Worst
I purchased 10 bulbs from early this spring directly...
spacehunter
Angel-wing Begonia drops leaves
My angel-wing begonia is huge and has flowered many...
safron4
started rhizome cutting...leaves shriveled
hello,i have a b.northern lights that has been sliding...
woollady
To re-pot Rexes or not?
As you can tell from the picture, I have three Rexes...
neuf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™