Growth and Light

gooblatzFebruary 15, 2010

Plants need light to grow, of course, but not every plant part needs direct light exposure. Stems and roots are examples of plant parts that don't need direct light. But what about flowers? Would the flowering part of a rose develop normally under an opaque hood provided that the rest of the plant were exposed to light? Generally, do flowers or fruits need light exposure for any reason?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

While I haven't taken any time to research it or find any scientific cites, practical experience would indicate the answer to your question is no. Even very shade tolerant plants tend not to flower well if located in persistant or heavy shade.

Bookmark   February 18, 2010 at 12:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pineresin

Try it and see! Tie a black hood over some flower buds, and see how they develop.

I suspect one side consequence though is that the un-illuminated flowers won't be able to attract their normal pollinators, so won't get pollinated, and therefore won't develop any seeds.

Also post-flowering, the immature fruit of most plants are photosynthetic, needing light to help produce energy for the seed development.

Resin

Bookmark   February 18, 2010 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
The Tetragonostachys of the USA
Interested in the Tetragonostachys? While often seen...
terrestrial_man
Cold stratification & "tricking" seeds
Was originally posted here, in the Growing from Seed...
actionclaw
Correct Notation for Scientific Classification
Hello. I would like to know how to list a species complete...
Reuel
reccomended plant science educational books to read
Hey everyone, looking for some plant science book recommendations...
zjharrison
Brassicaceae and Cruciferae
Do Brassicaceae and Cruciferae mean the same? Apparently...
albert_135
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™