wet area in the backyard

kimbhootMay 10, 2009

I have this area in my backyard (about 10'X10') that's always wet. I can't run the lawn mower there.. it's muddy and damp. I don't know why just this area is wet even on dry days. I initially thought I'll dump some dirt there, raise the area a bit but it would be a bit costly for me. While visiting this park the other day I saw this pond and several plants, and I thought why not just turn this area into a nice garden!

By the way, this would be my first garden. I need expert help on what I can grow here, I like those colorful long ornamental grasses, and I've seen this plant with huge leaves. no idea what those are called. please let me know what I can do in this area to solve the damp issue.

Thanks for reading.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
booberry85(5)

There's a thread below about plants that love wet soil. Along with their suggestions is mint (but it willgrow EVERYWHERE if you let it), Joe pye weed, butterfly weed, milk weed, cattails, pussy willows, grapes, golden rod, asters and willow trees (although some people consider willows giant weeds.)

Sorry I can't help you with the grasses. Personally, I can't see planting it, when I'm always trying to weed it out of the vegetable garden! LOL!

The plant with huge leaves is probably elephant ears.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wet soil lovin' plants

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 3:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

Butterfly weed would not do well in wet conditions. It prefers dry, sandy soil. Swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) does well in moist to wet soil. Here is a short list of plants that do well in sun and moist to wet soil:

Queen of the Prairie
Buttonbush
New England Aster (can be aggressive)
Obedient plant
Sneezeweed
Joe Pye Weed
Marsh Marigold
Iris versicolor or Iris virginica
Monarda didyma
Sweet flag
Carex stricta (tussock sedge)
Turtlehead (Chelone glabra)
Royal Fern
Cinnamon Fern
Sensitive fern
Red Osier Dogwood
Boneset
Cardinal Flower
Blue lobelia

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
Source for Gunnera in Zone 10?
Looking to install Gunnera plants at the pond. Don't...
beverlyfla
Gunnera Support Group?
Against the odds (heat and humidity in Mid-Atlantic...
akebono
large urn without drainage hole
I was given a very large red ceramic urn. I am at a...
kitasei
newbie bog container garden questions
I have an old sink that I would like to set in the...
phf13
Plants to soak up water?
I wasnt sure what forum to post this in so I posted...
greengoblin72
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™