Will rotting logs/woodchips be bad for a cp bog?

njbiologyJune 28, 2011

Hi,

I want to put a layer of woodchips, sticks, and wood around the perimeter within the carnivorous plant (cp) bog. When this rots, will nutrients be added to the bog?

I won't use oak leaves for that reason; I assume they will decompose and release nutrients.

Can I use rocks (granite and sandstone) on the edges, or will that leach too many minerals?

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
s8us89ds

Wood chips and sticks will add organic material to the soil when they decompose, yes.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 3:24PM
jlechtm(6B/7A)

Wood chips, etc. will release nutrients, but slowly. And if you keep the water in which your CP are growing acidic -- the way it would be in nature for most -- the acid itself (I'm told) prevents easy absorption of the nutrients by the plants. Oak leaves might actually be good for that reason, since some people use tannic acid to acidify their water, and oaks certainly have plenty of that (you can also find peat extract in larger garden/pond stores).

I've never been brave enough (yet) to grow my CP in bogs in the ground, but I have hundreds in pots sitting in dough trays on greenhouse tables in my back yard.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 2:45PM
njbiology

Hi,

I have an idea for growing carnivorous plants and sphagnum moss in a nutrient-rich marsh - will this likely work?

On top of the mud, pile 6" of peat-moss and sand then plant the carnivorous plants and sphagnum moss. I suppose the roots will penetrate down the 6" of peat moss before hitting the nutrient rich saturated soil; then probably not extend deeper. This would be like a floating-mat is in nature: that you have a mass of slowly decaying wood at the edge of a swamp - the swamp seems to be nutrient-rich, black mud, etc... but the plants are insulated from the nutrients as they are rooted in the mass that towers over the water-level and apparently doesn't readily soak up the nutrients.

So, does this sound like it would work?

Thanks,
Steve

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 12:42AM
More Discussions
Source for Gunnera in Zone 10?
Looking to install Gunnera plants at the pond. Don't...
beverlyfla
Is our 'boggy' area a Fen or Bog?
We have a very wet area just below the house. We were...
FireTrailFarm
Water Garden - Eliminatng Cattails
I'm in need of some wise gardening advice. I have a...
Emund
Duckweed in bog garden?
Can you put duckweed on very wet mud or does it have...
minxz
How do I plant elephant's ear?
I am planning a small bog this spring made from a large...
sven556
Sponsored Products
Champagne Flush Mount 1-Light Fluorescent
PLFixtures
Vessel LED Outdoor/Indoor Lamp
Lightology
Crosley Palm Harbor 5 Piece Outdoor Wicker Conversation Set - KO70011BR
$899.00 | Hayneedle
Montana Woodworks Glacier Country Poker Table
Beyond Stores
Log House Mailbox
Fifthroom.com
A & L Furniture Recycled Plastic 4 ft. Royal English Outdoor Glider Loveseat - 8
$422.98 | Hayneedle
Portabella Orange and Purple 18-Inch Square Pillow
$64.00 | Bellacor
3'W x 10'L Treated Pine Log Rail Bridge w/White Cedar Posts & Railing
Fifthroom.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™