Bog garden filter construction

dogtoonJune 17, 2009

I have 250 gallon pond and want to build "veggie filter" what is the minimum depth of gravel you need because there are conflicting views on the web

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prairie_bogger(6a (KS))

You might try posting your question on the "Ponds & Aquatic Plants" forum of GardenWeb. There is occasionally discussions on bog/veggie filters there. Below is a link to a page with a description of the bog-type veggie filter we built a few years ago. Good Luck!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Bog Filter

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 9:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
montanawanda

My 3 yr old pond a 40' X 70 ' has had green water problems for most of it's 3 years. It looks great until hot weather, then pea soup. I am considering a bog garden. I have 7500 G pump, skimmer and bio falls with filter media. This would supplement my current filter system with a seperate pump. I have plants, a few fish, trapdoor snails and lots of rocks. over the liner. I have read the posts on the bog topic. Is there a site for construction of the clean out PVC section needed for the perforated PVC that goes to in the bottom of the bog. I do not want to construct one and then have it clogged. Is it a good idea to have a small drop for the water (a waterfall)as it re-enters the pond after being filtered by the bog. I am on a small budget so I need some help with cost effective ideas. Can you use a seperate flood pump to pump water into the bog?
What do you do in the winter with plants that are rooted in pea gravel, I am a zone 4-5?
I appreciate the time others take to write in and give us newbies a little advice.
Wanda

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Gunnera Support Group?
Against the odds (heat and humidity in Mid-Atlantic...
akebono
My tiny bog garden
This was my first attempt at growing carnivorous plants....
timhensley_gw
How do I plant elephant's ear?
I am planning a small bog this spring made from a large...
sven556
Plants that like wet feet
I'm a novice gardener with what would appear to be...
Maddie.123
Arum lily
I have a very moist, very shady spot next to my water...
nightinggale
Sponsored Products
Northbrook 13" High Bronze LED Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
8'' Cake Pan
$7.99 | zulily
Traditional Redwood Wine Rack Solid Diamond Cube
Overstock.com
Uttermost Cassem Clock Table
Beyond Stores
Mattiazzi | Medici Ottoman
YLiving.com