Tricot seedlings

princesskatja(8 WA)March 18, 2005

I have a brugmansia seedling that has emerged as a tricotyledon(it has three seed leaves).

I did a search on the Forum and elsewhere and it seems that when this happens, it's the plant equivalent of a twin, perhaps a conjoined twin? Everything else about the seedling appears normal; stalk looks healthy and stout. I am very curious to see how it develops.

Anyone else encountered these sorts of variations? I'm sure it's not uncommon. What other plant species tend to do this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lifestarter

common mutation.
wait for some
sophisticated answers.

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 8:52AM
bolrog

I posted a detailed reply to your post on the brugmansia forum under the key word "tricot".
Self the flowers of the tricot seedling and let me know what the ratio of the first generation tricots to regular seedlings. I selfed a tricot marigold and the ratio went from 1 in 43 seedlings being a tricot in the regular population of marigolds to 1 in 13 tricots in the selfed tricots's seedlings.

Bookmark   March 12, 2006 at 7:29PM
agnellok(Z9 So. Calif)

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you self a flower?
Thanks,
KAREN

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 3:23PM
flash14756(z6 Boise, Idaho USA)

I think he means self pollonate, but im not sure. also, i've seen weird mutations in citrus seedlings.

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 4:14PM
agnellok(Z9 So. Calif)

Thanks Flash..........

Karen

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 4:16PM
paalexan(NM)

In citrus it's common to have multiple embryos in a single seed, so when planted a seed can produce multiple seedlings.

Patrick Alexander

Bookmark   March 14, 2006 at 6:20PM
bolrog

Yes, it is called apomyxis and is common in citrus. Although most of the small seedlings thus obtained have only half the normal chromosomes and don't do as well as a single seed. It happens if a flower is not pollinated. Self pollination is when you take the pollen from a plants stamens and puts them on the pistol of the same plant. Look at the FAQ of how to pollinate a tomatoe. Im a self taught plant breeder and nursery salesman for 30 yrs now.

Bookmark   March 14, 2006 at 10:02PM
dont_pollute_msn_com

I had this happen to a cactus seedling of mine!

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 9:54PM
bongies(9)

Yes this has happened to my kale plants the kale on the left was a mutated tricot n the kale on the right is a regular dicot if u notice the tricot kale is not as big which leads me to believe it is a dwarf maybe but even though it is smaller it is growing great n I don't notice any pros or cons yet and yes I'm gonna bag the flower stalk an self this kale haha I will let u guys know if I remember on how the plants do..

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 4:46AM
bongies(9)

The tricot kale one the left has a much deeper blue greenish color much darker than the regular dicots which leads me to believe its healthier than the others. I will post a picture later on when I obtain a recent one.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 1:59AM
More Discussions
A Question about hybrid vegatable seeds...
Hello all. I feel that this is very basic and that...
gata
ok to grow an entire poplation of plants from one motherplant?
If i were to buy a single flowering, hardy pond plant,...
njbiology
have you seen Coppertone loquat?
I recently purchased some "Coppertone loquat"...
serenoa
when is pollen viable...morning, evening, both?
I've been hand pollinating some fruit trees this year,...
jbclem
fyi, ubc botanical garden forums has a plant science forum
Plants: Science and Cultivation Disregard. Almost no...
albert_135
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™