Enough with this heat already!

JuttahOctober 3, 2012

I can handle May through the first half of September. It's around mid-September that the heat finally gets to me.

Right now there's "only" 90 degrees of "dry heat" outside, but it might as well be 110 -- my skin can't even tell the difference anymore.

Many desert dwellers dread our summers, but for me it's our so-called Fall, which always seems to drag on F-O-R-E-V-E-RRRRRRRRR with its agonizingly long stretches of record-setting heat. How many times have you heard the cheerful weather reporter chirp "After today, we'll start to cool down!" - and then repeat that same promise for the next 10 days?

I mean really, in what other part of the country does your Halloween candy melt?

Anyone else ready for "Fall" Fall?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
campv

I am sick of the heat. I start to hit the wall about the end of August. I am tired of watering every day. I am tired of seeing crispy roses. I am tired of my candles melting in the house. Im tired of black dirty shoe soles from the oiled streets and I am really tired of the $175-200 air conditioning bill. Bring on the cool

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 7:12PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

I ***wish*** we had a $200 utility bill! I think all our efforts to reduce the bill - blowing in insulation, replacing single pane windows, getting new high SEER-rated AC's (split system) - were all for naught. SRP raised the rates each time and erased the hoped-for savings. It didn't help that I insisted on an AC for the shed so the dogs could stay cool. Anyhow, I am sick, sick, sick of the heat!! All this talk about "cooling down to the low 90's" just makes me hotter. As soon as the dewpoint drops a little more, on comes the evap for about a month or two and then I'm turning it all off. No furnace here; there's not enough winter to warrant turning it on.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 7:26PM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

tf, we've been running the swamper for at least two weeks. When a/c is on I check the dew point every morning....it's been in the 40's for some time.

I sometimes feel like the idiot who bangs his head against the wall because it feels so good when he quits. hahahah! By the time cooler temps come I am *so* ready. I (we) stay house-bound for the worst of it....reading mostly, napping.....I don't *have* to be out in it so can opt out. It's really hard for those that have no choice. I look at the folks who work on the asphalt....ye gads Batman. That's hard.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
February 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden?
I hope Grant doesn't mind me beating him to posting...
kevininphx
Do you like your synthetic lawn?
This is sort of a spin-off from my thread on how to...
juju222
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
Kokedama
Japanese String Gardens. Anyone doing/done any of these?...
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™