I.D. begonia and care information

hollye442April 22, 2013

I do not know what kind of begonia this is. I bought it at a store in early Feb. of this year and it has been blooming since then. What kind of begonia is this? If I plant this outside this summer will it continue to bloom? This plant blooms the sends out a new shoot off the end of that bloom and puts out another bloom. Am I supposed to pinch off that bloom or will it just keep blooming on those long stems. It is kind of getting ugly but I'm scared if I pinch them off that it will be done blooming. Please help me with the I.D. and any growing and care information. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

Reiger/hiemalis. Typically used as an annual. Enjoy and discard. Some folks have luck by cutting it close to the ground after blooming and caring for it with some fertilizer, bright light, proper watering, etc. There was a discussion of them very recently on the Y@h00 begonia group - most are in favor of not buying them or enjoying them for a short while. Others coax them back for more blooms.

Very popular blooming plant around holidays until you get tired of buying them over and over. Choose which option you want.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 8:12PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I got one of these recently, too, although not the exact same plant. So pretty, aren't they?! You might find this discussion of some value. It totally changed my plans for this plant. Hope yours continues to do well, looks great!

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:12AM
hollye442

Thank you so much for your responses and information and for the post to the discussion link. I'll just let it bloom itself to death then I may try to repot it. I love plant experiments!

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Blackmore & Langdon Begonia bulbs The Worst
I purchased 10 bulbs from early this spring directly...
spacehunter
Would love an ID on this begonia
I'm attaching 3 photos- hopefully First one is of...
lorabell NC
To re-pot Rexes or not?
As you can tell from the picture, I have three Rexes...
neuf
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
Is Blackmore & Langdon begonia tuber worth it ?
Any one try Blackmore & Langdon tuber? Are they...
mymanga
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™