Staking tuberous begonias

susan6(z6a)April 29, 2012

Have any of you come up with strategies for staking big, multi-stemed begonias? Last year I lost half of the plants because later in the season the bamboo stakes wouldn't support the weight of the plants and they broke off. The trouble is that with the loose soil mix one needs, the stakes bend with the plant. One site suggested cutting down those round tomato cage things and letting the plants grow through the wires. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bayard(zone 6 / NJ)

I know what you mean! I'm considering using green metal fencing to make mini cages. I've been looking for plastic cages that will snap onto the rim of my 8 inch plastic pots. A place in Great Britain sells them for Achimenes with pots included (too small). The best solution I've come up with is to insert 3 stakes around the perimeter of the pot and then loop those Velcro plant ties around the Begonia stems from multiple directions. Eventually the rootball fills in to support the stakes.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 10:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kittymoonbeam

I have my pots sitting on/in much larger pots filled with clay soil so they dont fall over and it holds up stakes nicely. The begoinias grow a few roots into the clay and dont wobble anymore.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
To re-pot Rexes or not?
As you can tell from the picture, I have three Rexes...
neuf
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
ID please
I'm assuming this is a begonia, and here in zone 5...
drich30099
Angel-wing Begonia drops leaves
My angel-wing begonia is huge and has flowered many...
safron4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™