what is silver sand, the recommended sand for bog gardens.

njbiologyJune 1, 2005

What is Silver Sand: all i know is that they say to use it for propagating aquatic plants from seeds and for bog gardens.

Where can i get Silver Sand - would homedepot or lowes sell it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Peter60(Yorkshire UK)

Sand is mainly composed of quartz and the particles are frequently coated with iron oxides which give sands a colouring from yellows to rich browns. Those sands that do not have any iron oxides are termed 'silver sands'.

It is simply a name and does not have any particular horticultural implications. Any sand will do provided it is washed free from contaminants and is of the graded size of particles that you require. You sometime see 'river sand' recommended and again there is no particular characteristic appertaining to horticultural use exept that it is likely that the particles will be very rounded and very clean.

My Website

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 8:57AM
njbiology

what would happen if i used the contruction-purpose sand that you can purchase at Lowes and Home-Depot

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 10:19AM
Peter60(Yorkshire UK)

Personally I would never incorporate builders grade of sand used for the making of mortar; It is too fine and is likely to impede drainage and air. Even in the bog garden and for aquatic plant containers that are to be submerged I would go for a larger particle, gritty sand.

My Website

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 4:00PM
njbiology

where would i get that;

another thing is that i fear stepping on the sand will cause the sharper grains to penetrate the 45 mil liner

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 9:38AM
Peter60(Yorkshire UK)

Use it in your submerged pond baskets if the mix calls for grit, and if you also have need for a planting bed at your pool bottom and want to include some aggregate use rounded grit. All these can be obtained from a well stocked builders merchants. Just verify it is free from contaminents.
45mm thick liner ? not much would get through that.

Propagation would normally be done in baskets in the pond or in tanks placed elsewhere.

My Website

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 11:39AM
Silversurfer27_live_com

Where can i buiy silver sand from and does it go by another name?

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Duckweed in bog garden?
Can you put duckweed on very wet mud or does it have...
minxz
newbie bog container garden questions
I have an old sink that I would like to set in the...
phf13
Blooming season of Mini Lotus - many pictures
White with deep purple tips, not 'picotee' but what...
jujujojo_gw
Is our 'boggy' area a Fen or Bog?
We have a very wet area just below the house. We were...
FireTrailFarm
My tiny bog garden
This was my first attempt at growing carnivorous plants....
timhensley_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™