Rooting Begonias

Motezuma(z5 WV)April 25, 2005

Hi everybody. I am attempting to grow some begonias from leaves I got thru a trade. The previous grower said to root them in water. When I got them, I made fresh cuts in the stem and stuck them in water. I also sliced off a little bit (with vein) and stuck it in dirt and bagged it.

One of them (a Rex) has roots now. It's only been about 10 days. The question is, when should I pot it, and how deep?

Thanks for your help.

-Mo (WV)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aplantlover(6bTN)

also... deep enough to cover all of the root plus maybe an inch or so...
A plant lover

Bookmark   May 1, 2005 at 9:26PM
aplantlover(6bTN)

For some reason, my second response came and the first didn't show up at all... I hope you were able to plant your rooting begonia leaf. In the first response I said that I root a lot of plants but had not tried rooting the begonia. I have had a lot of success with rooting many other types of plants. I think if you have root growth then it is fine to go ahead and plant it in the same type of soil in which african violets would be planted. good luck!

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 3:07PM
Motezuma(z5 WV)

Thanks. So far, so good. The leaves are still alive, no shoots yet.

-Mo (WV)

Bookmark   May 12, 2005 at 12:45PM
Dianthus_Anne(N of Boston)

I have some new tuberous begonias in my garden, are those the appropriate kind to root in water? And you just cut off a leaf and put the stem in water? I've only rooted ivy, so that's all I'm familiar with

Bookmark   May 20, 2005 at 4:06PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I don't think you'll have any luck rooting tuberous begonia leaves. That mostly works with rhizomatous and Rex (a division of rhizomatous). I think tuberous begonias are harder to grow from cuttings, tho' since they won't grow here I don't actually know.

Bookmark   May 20, 2005 at 10:14PM
Motezuma(z5 WV)

Hi. An update- one of the Rex leaves has a shoot! It also appears to be growing 4 small leaves from the place where the leaf meets the petiole... So, how do I deal with this? Should I remove the shoot and pot the leaf to where th soil level is? The others I am rooting are still just leaves sticking out of the dirt.

-Mo (WV)

Bookmark   May 23, 2005 at 4:57PM
beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)

It is possible with Rexs to get several babies from one leaf. (similar to African violets). If there is enough space to work, you can seperate them with a razor blade and make a couple little plants or just leave them grow as is. Sounds like you are doing well with whatever you are doing. Keep up the good work.

Bookmark   May 24, 2005 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
ID please
I'm assuming this is a begonia, and here in zone 5...
drich30099
need help to ID plants... newbie to begonias
hi from the philippines! i chanced upon this collection...
rica_ph
started rhizome cutting...leaves shriveled
hello,i have a b.northern lights that has been sliding...
woollady
Newly bought a Rex Begnoia -
This appears to have smaller leaves. I had these before,...
jujujojo_gw
Begonia started from seed BUT no tuber grown???
I started a couple of tuber Begonias from seed this...
started_with_bean
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™