snapdragons have rust should i pull them out??

Jonelle24April 20, 2013

Hello, I'm in CA and we planted a ton of Snapdragons in October (2012) which have been getting bigger and more beautiful every month!! In the beginning of April I noticed they had rust so I went and purchased an organic fungicide (Dr.Earth) and have been practicing better watering habits and trying to keep an eye on it, but I think its still spreading. I don't know what to do, I don't want it to spread to my other flowers or my fruit trees...what to do??? Should I just rip them all out and replace with something new or keep at it with the fungicide?? What a shame they are sooo pretty!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

Jonelle24, my opinion is that they may be nearing the end of their useful life and should be replaced something more fitting for the season.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 3:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Ron is exactly right. Snaps are considered a cool season or cool climate plant.....much like pansies.

The good news is that the rust which affects snaps (Puccinia antirrhinum) will not spread to any other plant.....except other snapdragons. Rust is very species specific and cannot jump from one kind of plant to another.

You'll need to pay careful attention to the usual housekeeping chores before planting next year. Rust spores can persist in mulch and any plant debris.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
What do you think about mycorrhizae fungi?
As a commercial product, I mean. Can it really help...
leaveswave
What are they?
Hi gardeners, I just went to empty the scrap bucket...
tonyjugoslav
Cannabis regeneration technique
I'm looking to get some opinions on the below questions...
yolanda89
The Tetragonostachys of the USA
Interested in the Tetragonostachys? While often seen...
terrestrial_man
Correct Notation for Scientific Classification
Hello. I would like to know how to list a species complete...
Reuel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™