Var Iron Cross Rex Begonia

sunny43(Z 6 Pa.)April 2, 2005

I went to a plant sale and picked up a variegated Iron Cross Rex Begonia. I didn't realize what it was until I got home. I don't know the first thing about growing Begonias. Could someone please help me with this plant. I live in Texas on the Gulf coast, near Galvestion. Is this a common Begonia? Can I grow it outside? Thank you for any information you can give me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bruggirl(8b)

Variegated? I'd love to see a picture of that. Iron Cross is my favorite begonia.

Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 10:55AM
sunny43(Z 6 Pa.)

I'll try to get a picture of it up for you to see. It won't be until later on this week. Any information on the plant and how to grow it?

Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 7:56PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

It's definitely not a common begonia--I think I've only seen it in a few pictures. Beautiful thing. I would assume culture would be the same as the regular Iron Cross (B. masoniana). First of all, don't over-water. You can grow it outside in the shade--little or no sun but good light. Don't over-water. I like to grow begonias like this in terra cotta bowls so they can stay moist but still be sure of good drainage, and in our hot muggy climate terra cotta keeps the roots a little cooler as the moisture evaporates from the pot, so it's important to keep it moist. But also, be sure not to over-water!

Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 11:07PM
bruggirl(8b)

I have my iron cross outside under an oak tree. It loves it there. I keep it in a half peat/half perlite mixture in a clay pot, since we have such a rainy summer. Seems to like that too.

Bookmark   April 6, 2005 at 9:16PM
mkjones(z8)

Sunny4, begonias are very partial to rainwater.....I killed quite a few 'til I read that super fact!

MKJ

p.s. VARIEGATED?? Sounds divine!!

Bookmark   April 14, 2005 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Rhizomatous Madame Queen and Black Truffle
A nursery was discounting their "annuals"....
linnea56
Winter Feeding of Rex Begonias
I am losing a couple of my Rex Begonias and wonder...
neuf
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
To re-pot Rexes or not?
As you can tell from the picture, I have three Rexes...
neuf
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™