Potentilla turns invasive

deb5315(5)May 29, 2007

I used Potentilla nepalensis 'Ron McBeath' (Miss Willmott Potentilla) as a groundcover in a landscape installation. The following season most of the original plants had died, but seemed to be replaced by potentilla anserina, AKA Silverweed. The leaf became small and ferny in appearance and the bloom changed to small yellow blooms, and numerous red runners formed an invasive mat. The second year, this had invaded the lawn up to 40 feet away.

I am wondering if it is possible that the Miss Willmott variety was a hybrid that seeded, and the seeds produced a throwback to p. anserina. They are both of the Rosaceae family, and p. anserina is not common in this state.

Can anyone explain or confirm what happened here?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pineresin

They are not very closely related (Silverweed has been split out into a separate genus by some botanists, as Argentina anserina). I'd suspect the most likely cause is a stray Silverweed root in one of the pots, from its being a weed at the nursery.

If the spread is very rapid, do all you can to stop it, before it ends up as a new Colorado-wide menace!

Resin

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
What is the academic reasons for why only some grafts work?
Persons grafting usually use similar plants, citrus...
albert_135
reccomended plant science educational books to read
Hey everyone, looking for some plant science book recommendations...
zjharrison
Franklinia alatamaha
Maybe this query should go in the Propagation or Native...
Josh
Plant ID needed!
Can you please ID this plant for me? It is potted in...
RPost78
Why would flower colour change?
I know that some plants, such a hydrangea can change...
adidas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™