Bigeneric/intergeneric vs. interspecific

christinmk z5b eastern WAMay 13, 2013

So I was looking up the term âÂÂinterspecific hybridâ awhile back and a couple sites commented that it doesnâÂÂt always have to be two species within the same genera, but different species of different genera. WouldnâÂÂt that make it a bigeneric/intergeneric plant though?! Or do you apply both terms to such a plant, meaning if the offspring was a result of crossing two species of different genera it would be a bigeneric AND interspecific hybrid?

Since I am here... what is the reason some genera and/or species can cross and others canâÂÂt?? Is it Chromosome compatibility or something? IâÂÂm not knowledgeable in this area whatsoever, so the more dumbed-down the answer the better, lol. ;-)
Thanks much!
CMK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

An intraspecific hybrid is the product of a cross between two members from within the same species.

An interspecific hybrid is the product of a cross between different species within the same genus.

An intergeneric hybrid / bigeneric hybrid is the product of a cross between members of different genera from within the same family.

The answer to your second question could be quite complex, depending on the depth you wanted the issue addressed. But yes, chromosome compatibility, or lack thereof, is the major factor.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 3:22PM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Oh wow, fabulous explanation there Brandon!

So the intraspecific hybrid is essentially crossing two variants of the same species ((within the same genus))? It would be crossing the species with the/a subspecies of itself then?

Really fascinating. I ought to just get a dummies book of botany, but am not sure where to begin there, lol!

Thanks for taking the time with answering my question- much appreciated!
CMK

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 10:14AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

"So the intraspecific hybrid is essentially crossing two variants of the same species ((within the same genus))? It would be crossing the species with the/a subspecies of itself then?"

Yes, between two different individuals from within the same species. They could be different cultivars, different varieties, different subspecies, etc.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 9:27PM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Thank you Brandon ;-)
CMK

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 11:12AM
More Discussions
ok to grow an entire poplation of plants from one motherplant?
If i were to buy a single flowering, hardy pond plant,...
njbiology
bougainvillea seeds germinating
i have sown bougainvillea seeds 30 days ago but there...
calipso108
The Tetragonostachys of the USA
Interested in the Tetragonostachys? While often seen...
terrestrial_man
Japanese Knotweed
First off, I titled this post with the common name...
veronicastrum
Sructure name?
Plant is a Callisia but would appreciate help with...
mfyss
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™