Flowering Almond + lighting

imperfectendingMay 6, 2009

I got myself an Almond bush a month ago and I've noticed that I should have planted it somewhere else because the location that I planted is full shade.

When I got the bush it was semi-covered with flowers and a few weeks after planting it, it was fully covered with flowers.

My question is:

Does this mean that the flowers will bloom like this next year? Or was it just following it's genetic buildup to flower as much until it realizes that it's not getting enough sun then it will stop flowering as much next spring.

Thank you

-If moving it is an option: How should I move the bush without killing it? ( It's been in ground for about a month )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eibren(z6PA)

If you are talking about the little flowering almond with the pink flowers that look like little roses, I had one, which lived for quite awhile in partial shade, but it died out when it no longer received any direct sun at all.

I doubt the roots have gone very far yet. If you dig it out very carefully and keep the root ball intact it should be OK to move it, especially if the soil is still soft in your area. It helps to keep the root ball intact if you slide it onto a piece of plastic (such as a flattened garbage or leaf bag) or other strong, flat material to wrap it in as you carry the plant to its new spot. In general, plants do not like to be planted or moved when they are flowering, but I don't think you have much choice in this. Once all the trees are in leaf there will probably be even less sun for your almond.

Just make certain to dig well under and around the root ball and lift up carefully. Water as instructed for a newly planted shrub.

Don't be too discouraged if your almond looks a bit nondescript once it loses its flowers--they are only a feature when in bloom.

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 3:01AM
More Discussions
bougainvillea seeds germinating
i have sown bougainvillea seeds 30 days ago but there...
calipso108
What is the academic reasons for why only some grafts work?
Persons grafting usually use similar plants, citrus...
albert_135
when is pollen viable...morning, evening, both?
I've been hand pollinating some fruit trees this year,...
jbclem
Why would flower colour change?
I know that some plants, such a hydrangea can change...
adidas
What do you think about mycorrhizae fungi?
As a commercial product, I mean. Can it really help...
leaveswave
Sponsored Products
Paris Flea 6-light Gold Leaf Flush Mount
Overstock.com
Barcelona Ottoman-Brown - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
LBFA-D2 2 Channel LuxBar Dimmer
Super Bright LEDs
White Mini Corner Table Lamp for Home Lighting
ParrotUncle
American Fluorescent | Fusion Vanity Light
$270.60 | YLighting
Top-SI Pendant
Lightology
Plymouth Decorative Chandelier - Four Lights - Olde Bronze
Signature Hardware
9'x12' Repetitive Design 100% Wool Light Green Hand Knotted Oriental Rug Sh19231
1800 Get A Rug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™