Beginner needs help.

elijahy227May 31, 2010

Im new to botany and i was wondering if there were any good beginner books that would be helpful to me if i were to pursue a career in botany. I dont know where to start so im just asking for anything that well "show me the ropes" or give me a better idea of which way to move. So in advance thanks for the help

-Elijah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyanne_2010(Z 8 / WA)

I don't know what to suggest right off but what you can do is find a botany course at a local college / university and find out what textbook they use (most have textbooks listed on the schools bookstore's web page)

You can also email the instructor / professor and ask if they recommend that book for a beginner - ask also which book they recommend (sometimes they have no choice but to use the book listed for various reasons) You can see what book(s) they recommend then purchase the book(s) on a site such as amazon.com or another inexpensive used textbook site.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 1:41AM
gardengal48

One very inexpensive and concise text is Botany for Gardeners by Brian Capon. This is a text that is used for general horticultural courses so not extremely detailed or technical but certainly addresses all aspects of botany in a basic way. Should provide a helpful overview of the subject to begin with and then you can make some decisions about how to proceed further.

Career options in botany are very broad but tend towards the more technical end of plant studies :-) Have you given any more thought as to what specific type of career in this field you'd like to pursue? Unless you have desires to become a plant scientist, it could be that acquiring a degree in botany is not exactly the best or most efficient/quickest route to take. Many folks who work professionally within the horticultural arena do not have botany degrees but have some other, often less technical plant-related course of study. A visit to your local college or university and a discussion with a guidance counselor may be helpful as well.

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 12:14PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Study botany and study internet site building and and maintanance and contribute to a site such as Botany online - The Internet Hypertextbook. One could probably start soon proofreading or translating and learn a lot of botany while working for the site.

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Plant ID needed!
Can you please ID this plant for me? It is potted in...
RPost78
A Question about hybrid vegatable seeds...
Hello all. I feel that this is very basic and that...
gata
ok to grow an entire poplation of plants from one motherplant?
If i were to buy a single flowering, hardy pond plant,...
njbiology
What is the academic reasons for why only some grafts work?
Persons grafting usually use similar plants, citrus...
albert_135
when is pollen viable...morning, evening, both?
I've been hand pollinating some fruit trees this year,...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™