Begonia beginner

Snomam(Zone 3)May 7, 2007

I just bought two tuberous begonias: Non-Stop Yellow and Go-Go Scarlet. I'm hoping to have them as houseplants since they're shade lovers. But that's all I know about them and can't find a good website or source here for basic information on how to keep them flowering; don't know what "canes" are; how to propagate; or whether I should remove spent blossoms? I'm hoping a couple of hours of afternoon sun will be sufficient? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

Zone 3 sounds challenging for begonias. Most begonias love warmth, humidity, and filtered light. Tuberous can be more challenging than other types - usually they are killed from over watering and then the fact that they go dormant in winter so you have to take care of them differently in winter. There should be plenty of sites to show how to propagate tuberous but it's easier for me to buy them and treat them as annuals. Deadheading will keep any plant tidier but it also time consuming.

Cane begonias are just another category of begonias that have longer growth between nodes on their stems. They are also sometimes called "angel wings". Check out these sites for more information:

ABS

ABASTRO

Brad's Begonia

English Begonias

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 2:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Snomam(Zone 3)

Exactly the info I was looking for, thanks so much!

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
started rhizome cutting...leaves shriveled
hello,i have a b.northern lights that has been sliding...
woollady
To re-pot Rexes or not?
As you can tell from the picture, I have three Rexes...
neuf
shima nishiki peony field
The video is from 2009, taken in Luoyang, China. Enjoy...
jujujojo_gw
Winter Feeding of Rex Begonias
I am losing a couple of my Rex Begonias and wonder...
neuf
Is Blackmore & Langdon begonia tuber worth it ?
Any one try Blackmore & Langdon tuber? Are they...
mymanga
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™