Lonicera maackii

CaptainAhabJune 3, 2012

I have spent a lifetime searching for wild mutations in plants and birds. My latest discovery was a wild honeysuckle (Lonicera maackii) with a bud mutation to variegated. It appears to be a chimera type. It was a rather large plant, so it got severely pruned in order to compensate for the root loss of digging it out. Has been in my garden for over a year, and did come back variegated this spring.

My question to you all is this; the plant is mostly normal, green leaved and since these things are not great to keep, I am wondering if it is even worth keeping? I had planned to air layer a branch to get a good plant that was all variegated, but ....? I did a google search and could find no others in existence.

Anyone know if it's worth the trouble? Or is such a plant already in cultivation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

How sure are you of the species identification? I am especially wondering since you referred to L maackii (an introduced species) as "wild" honeysuckle.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 8:51PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Oh, and how did you identified the source of variegation?

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 8:55PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb. That does sound interesting, but isn't this kind of like asking if we need another kind of herion or meth? OTOH, maybe you could sell it back to Japan?

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
Changes in Flowering Time
Hello! I'm a postdoc at Harvard, studying flowering...
curiousmachine
The Tetragonostachys of the USA
Interested in the Tetragonostachys? While often seen...
terrestrial_man
grafting compatibility
Hi, is there any logic about matching rootstock and...
lord_of_the_green
have you seen Coppertone loquat?
I recently purchased some "Coppertone loquat"...
serenoa
Cold stratification & "tricking" seeds
Was originally posted here, in the Growing from Seed...
actionclaw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™