Scientific term for the blossom end or tip of a fruit.

albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)June 19, 2010

On a language forum the question has arisen, is there a scientific term for the spot on the surface of the 'blossom end' or 'tip' of a fruit, specifically a pumpkin.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

One would usually just refer to it as the proximal end of the fruit. In grasses the vestigial remnants of the perianth on the ovary are called lodicules. Otherwise I am not familiar with any other terms in common usage.

    Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 3:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

As I click submit it occurs to me that I meant distal, not proximal.

    Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 3:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


    Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 5:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Some have suggested "calyx". Others have said that were it an apple perhaps, it would be a calyx but the pumpkin being a different sort of fruit it is not a calyx and a better description would be the "vestige of the style" for which no one has found a specific terminology.

I should have thought that pumpkins being such a popular fruit some academic somewhere would have published a fantastic monograph with overwhelmingly tedious details.

    Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 5:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

The distal end of an apple includes the stamens and style/stigma in addition to the calyx. This is true of most pome fruits.

On woody stems the marks left behind by leaves and buds are called "scars". The same might be used to describe marks left by the perianth or style which are deciduous on a pumpkin.

    Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 10:34AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Japanese Knotweed
First off, I titled this post with the common name...
Why would flower colour change?
I know that some plants, such a hydrangea can change...
Changes in Flowering Time
Hello! I'm a postdoc at Harvard, studying flowering...
Sructure name?
Plant is a Callisia but would appreciate help with...
reccomended plant science educational books to read
Hey everyone, looking for some plant science book recommendations...
Sponsored Products
Fosters Point Urn With Hydrangea Eucalyptus Corn Fruit Hydrangea
Beyond Stores
Eangee Durian Uplight Green Accent Lamp
Lamps Plus
Peshawar Pakistani Chobi Hand Knotted Wool Ivory-Blue Floral Rug H597
BH Sun Inc
Fruit Medley Opal Round: 7 Ft. 7 In. Rug
$419.00 | Bellacor
Winnie The Pooh Baby Girl Gift Basket - 8050
$98.99 | Hayneedle
18'' Carving Block
$27.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™