new ponder- want a bog filter and need help

witzJuly 5, 2007

Hi, I am in the process of building my first pond, and I am interested in building a bog filter to do all of my filtering. As of now the pond will be in a kidney type shape, with length being about 17 feet, and the width being about 12 feet. I plan on using step down shelves to about 24 inches, and having a section about 30 inches or so- not sure if I will make this just another step.

I have been told that I can build a bog filter to do all of my filtering, and I would like to build it so that it feeds my waterfall.

My questions are how practical is this, and what size should it be? What is recommended for depth? I've been told to build it so there is at least a foot of lava rock on top of the pipe at the bottom, and finish it off with pea gravel.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prairie_bogger(6a (KS))

Witz, If you post this over on the pond forum, you might get more responses. A few of the ponders there (including myself) have "bog-type" filters. This Bog Garden forum (I think) deals more with the "true" bogs-- that is, separate bogs filled with peat that don't usually have water running through them.

In the meantime you can take a look at the construction of my bog-type filter at the link below. BTW- we used all pea gravel-- no lava rock in our filter and it seems to be doing well after 2.5 years. Another website that might be useful is Nelson's Water Gardens in TX, I think. Just google their name along with "bog filter".

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Bog Filter

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
bog to filter small pond?
hello, so a few months back I built my first pond it's...
mushibu10
Plants to soak up water?
I wasnt sure what forum to post this in so I posted...
greengoblin72
Gunnera Support Group?
Against the odds (heat and humidity in Mid-Atlantic...
akebono
Growing lotus from seed
I've created a small Web site showing photos of lotus...
glycera
Water Garden - Eliminatng Cattails
I'm in need of some wise gardening advice. I have a...
Emund
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™