Chlorophyll content, pigment extraction

dianaxvbJune 29, 2009

Hi everyone

I have been looking for different methods to measure leaf chlorophyll content. And I have found a lot of different approaches: 1. using different solvents (acetone; dimethyl sulphoxide (DMSO); Methanol; ethanol); 2. by griding the samples with the solvents; making a powder out of the samples and then mix it with the solvent; or just making the extraction by leaving the sample in the solvent in a water bath at 65 celcius degrees; 3. using centrifuges or not; 4. using High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC); 5. measuring with spectrophotometers; 6. using Arnon's (1949) equations for the chlorophyll content; or Porra's (1989) equations.

Does anyone have a recommendation about which methods is better?

Can somebody give me a reference that can give me a light about which approach is more accurate or reliable?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Diana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terpguy(7)

Better? I dunno myself, but I do know that, going through college, we would smash up leaves, let them soak in acetone for a week in a refrigerator covered by aluminum foil, then measure them with spectrophotometers. Relatively painless and we got good results.

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 6:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taxonomist(7b VA)

I'd go with Terpguy on the extraction business. The secret is low temps. I have used acid-free methanol at ca. 4 degrees C for at least 48 hrs. Then again, which chlorophyll are you trying to determine? Also, very quick drying of the plant tissue and grinding to a fine powder are both good policies. Sounds as tho you are pursuing an interesting project!!!

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 8:09PM
More Discussions
ok to grow an entire poplation of plants from one motherplant?
If i were to buy a single flowering, hardy pond plant,...
njbiology
Name this flower
Found this flower growing up on my fence behind some...
Inswoman
Cannabis self pollination effects on hermaphrodite tendencies.
Colorado we have legal rights to grow and breed Marijuana/hemp....
farmerlino
when is pollen viable...morning, evening, both?
I've been hand pollinating some fruit trees this year,...
jbclem
have you seen Coppertone loquat?
I recently purchased some "Coppertone loquat"...
serenoa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™