Identify Powdery Mildew?

fredg78756(8)May 8, 2010

Bought this HUGE Allen Hodes last weekend and think this might have some powerdy mildew. Before I treat it, though, I'd like someone to confirm; no need putting something on my plants if it's not going to help, right?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Here is a link that might be useful: Powdery Mildew?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

Hard to tell on that picture Fred. Can you move in closer to the problem area? By the way, that is Art Hodes

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 5:21PM
fredg78756(8)

Yes, I realized too late it was "Art" instead of "Allen" (though previously I thought it was Salamander). I'd have edited the post or deleted and reposted (I'm a part-time editor), the mistake bugged me so much. Here's a closeup:

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 9:42PM
fredg78756(8)

By the way, some of the leaves' edges are paper-thin and have holes. I've removed those. The plant must have at least 6 rhizomes, so there's plenty of begonia to save.

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 10:02PM
hcmcdole(z7)

I see no evidence of PM on this begonia. I don't remember ever seeing it on mine either. Typically PM hits rexes, Mallet canes, and canes with the big polka dots.

Try Milstop if you do have PM problems. It works great but the caveat is it isn't at your nursery store (yet) so buy it online. It comes in five pound buckets and is kind of high ($70 with S&H). You mix one tablespoon per gallon.

Bookmark   May 9, 2010 at 7:49AM
fredg78756(8)

$70? Wow, it's cheaper to lose the plant eh? Thanks for you help, as always. I'll pop "Art" in the tub and let the shower run over him to see if this stuff just washes off. I truly wish I had someone nearby who I could trade rhizomes with. Between this and the Lorrain Closson, I have plenty to share!

Bookmark   May 9, 2010 at 11:01AM
hcmcdole(z7)

Looks really nice Fred. I find the red, silver, and dark rexes the worst for PM. You can share Milstop with others. By the time you invest in lots of begonias, pots, soil, fertilizer, lights, etc., etc. you will find Milstop well worth it.

Bookmark   May 9, 2010 at 1:44PM
More Discussions
New hardy begonias
I've been trialing a lot of new begonias for hardiness...
JohnnieB
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
Is Blackmore & Langdon begonia tuber worth it ?
Any one try Blackmore & Langdon tuber? Are they...
mymanga
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
Breaking dormancy
All my B. grandis tubers are showing their 'eyes' as...
woebegonia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™