chlorosis

yiorges-z5ilJune 17, 2010

I have both a pin oak & river birch with this problem, Chlorosis (Iron deficiency)

1) The illinois soil has a good supply of iron (FeSO4) but the soil pH is 6.8 For the iron to be utilized by these trees the pH needs to be 5.5

2) I wanted to use sulfur to lower the pH but the directions say to "mix the sulfur in the top 6 inches of soil".

3) these trees are in an established lawn and the trees have a caliper of 20 inches or more

4) HOW can I incorpoirate the sulfur under these conditions?

5) There was a sugestion that if the soil pH was lowered more than 1 point it would result in tieing up nitrogen & iron ect.... is this so?

6) tried to contact the supplier of the sulfer (Fertilome) several days ago but no response.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

Here is an article that might answer your questions. In the short term you might try a foliar spray that contains chelated iron to help the trees. Any acidic fertilizer like Mir-Acid should do the trick, but those aren't recommended for long term use since they usually contain aluminum sulfate.

I used to live in northern IL and Pin Oak is notorious for doing poorly up there. A good substitute if you ever plant any new trees is Hill's Oak (Quercus ellipsoidalis) and a good substitute for Red Maple is Freeman Maple (Acer x fremanii). I am surprised the River Birch is chlorotic as I have seen many large, healthy specimens growing in the northern parts of IL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iron Chlorosis

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 3:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I must assume you have already studied the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign article on chlorosis. I only mention it just on the off chance it was overlooked since you did not mention how you ruled out magnesium and zinc deficiencies.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
when is pollen viable...morning, evening, both?
I've been hand pollinating some fruit trees this year,...
jbclem
Franklinia alatamaha
Maybe this query should go in the Propagation or Native...
Josh
grafting compatibility
Hi, is there any logic about matching rootstock and...
lord_of_the_green
Chinese Bottle Gourd: Double Ovary?
Hi, the plant in question is the Chinese bottle gourd,...
Johnleprekan
Why would flower colour change?
I know that some plants, such a hydrangea can change...
adidas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™