is there a name for this fruits residues?

lord_of_the_green(Argentina z9)June 29, 2012

I was cleaning some Liquidambar fruits and started wondering if there is a botanical name (or even a purpose) for this kind of residue in which the seed is embeded. I've seen same happens with Eucalyptus and perhaps a lot of other plants.

Thanks. Paul.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'm looking at a pile of seeds and chaff. Chaff is the outer husk of some seeds. Is that what you are referring to?

    Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 2:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lord_of_the_green(Argentina z9)

Hi rhizo, yes, the seeds are the winged ones and the other stuff should be the chaff. But I thought that term applied only for other seeds like cereals, where it's really the other part of the seeds. in this case it seems part of the fruit, like remnants of stamens or something like that.

Thank you. Paul

    Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 4:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You're welcome, Paul. Yes, chaff is a universal term for the discarded 'stuff ' on certain plants

    Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 10:05PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
have you seen Coppertone loquat?
I recently purchased some "Coppertone loquat"...
The Tetragonostachys of the USA
Interested in the Tetragonostachys? While often seen...
when is pollen viable...morning, evening, both?
I've been hand pollinating some fruit trees this year,...
Cannabis regeneration technique
I'm looking to get some opinions on the below questions...
Changes in Flowering Time
Hello! I'm a postdoc at Harvard, studying flowering...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™