Annual Begonia or Perennial Begonia?

ellenfix(z7GA)May 10, 2005

Okay, last August I planted three beautiful, but small, annual begonias near my mailbox to dress it up prior to a party. They had deep red flowers and red waxy leaves. I was all set to enjoy them for the short time before they died ... but, like magic, they have now sprouted up again in May. They received no mulch, no fertilizer, and no care at all.

Does this mean we just had a very warm winter here in Atlanta which they miraculously survived ? Or, were these perennial hybrids to begin with? Can i replant them now in another spot successful, or should I leave well enough alone? THANKS!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kdjoergensen

Begonias are actually tender perennials which usually die with first frost. But sometimes in milder climates they may occationally come back. This is proabably what you saw.

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 10:37PM
hcmcdole(z7)

EllenFix,

I live in the Atlanta area and have had canes planted in the ground before. Before frost I took cuttings but left the rest of the plant in the ground. I had 'Sophie Cecil', 'Lucerna', 'Torch', and I think 'Di-Erna' or something like it all planted next to the stairs leading up to the deck. That winter (probably 4 or 5 years ago) the cuttings all took except 'Di-Erna'. But in late spring the only plant to come back from the ground was surprise, surprise - 'Di-Erna'. I would not expect this every year though or at all as a rule.

I'm not sure what you planted - it sounds like semperflorens (wax) which is treated like annuals since they are plentiful at the nurseries this time of year. If they were large then I would think 'Dragon Wings' which grow like crazy.

Butch

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 8:26AM
garysowards_gmail_com

I live just South of Birmingham, Al. I have a pot of bogonias that I planted in 2009 that came back in 2010 that were as beautiful or more beautiful as the year before. I put the pot in my basement last fall so I know I will have them again this year. Bagonias are one of my most favorite plants. They just keep giving all through the spring summer and fall.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 2:49PM
peggiewho(z9 Ca)

Wax or bedding begonias are perennial here. They seem to get a little bigger each year. I think you got a little lucky or you have a micro climate. 8b is suppose to be as low as they go. They are inexpensive so you should stick a few more in and see where they stick. I do lots of pots so I like my little easy begonias that take care of themselves. I usually fine a filler to change the look a bit.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 1:07AM
willr28

my wife teaches school and takes our 2 begonia plants to school each fall. The students are supposed to water them. However when she brings them back each spring (late spring)they look terrible. One does have blooms but the other has nothing! help

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
Rhizomatous Madame Queen and Black Truffle
A nursery was discounting their "annuals"....
linnea56
shima nishiki peony field
The video is from 2009, taken in Luoyang, China. Enjoy...
jujujojo_gw
My Special Angel
I posted this in the house plants forum but thought...
Jessie Tyler
Winter Feeding of Rex Begonias
I am losing a couple of my Rex Begonias and wonder...
neuf
New to Begonias and wondering what I have
I was at the Philadelphia Flower show and couldn't...
savannaicus
Sponsored Products
Begonia Hanging Arrangement
$41.99 | zulily
Begonia Euro Toilet Paper Holder
Signature Hardware
Tall Sunflower Potted Arrangement
$21.99 | zulily
Toto LT531.4 Promenade 4 in. Centers Self-Rimming Sink - LT531.4#01
$159.72 | Hayneedle
KOHLER Toilet Bowls Persuade Elongated Toilet Bowl Only in Dune K-4353-NY
Home Depot