Check out my Bog Garden experiment

terrestrial_man(9)August 5, 2010

I wish I could say my bog that is shown at the link below is still as great looking but no such luck. Reason why is that I should have removed all the sedges, etc. that came up but I did not and they basically took over and the healthy sphagnum became dead sphagnum. This I attribute to the fact that the sedges shaded out the sphagnum and it died out.

I have tried reviving it and am currently keeping tabs on a plug of live sphagnum that I put into the old dead bog to see if it will survive and recolonize the bog.

If this fails I may try to get a large amount of sphagnum to recover the old bog and go from there.

But it was a great looking bog

Click here to read my journals

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Awesome, and very professional looking!
I always love to see the projects that you have in store.
Thanks for the link!

Josh

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 12:39PM
terrestrial_man(9)

Thanks Josh.
Update: This past week I have had an old raccoon move into my backyard, or at least making it a stop on its nightly foray. It tore apart my bog looking for something to eat!
Plus it tore apart a great looking pot of sphagnum. The sphagnum will survive and has been moved into the wired enclosed Selaginella bench along with a tray of moss the critter simply rolled up like a carpet!
Looks like I will be trying to get some sphagnum off of eBay when the time comes. I have moved the bog nearer my house and covered it with hardware cloth. Hopefully that will discourage the beast.

Bookmark   August 12, 2010 at 10:13PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

T-Man,
that's terrible news! I'm sorry for the set-back.
I have battled the raccoon on many occasions, and even resorted to trapping them last summer.
They dug into my succulent containers and knocked over numerous other plants...and that's to
say nothing of the nectarines, grapes, and peaches that they single-handedly consumed....

I love them and hate them. Curse their little hands!

Josh

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 12:00AM
terrestrial_man(9)

Josh,
Thanks for the thoughts.
While I was dismayed at first I realize that they are just hungry animals who are way out of their habitat but what the ...... it are humans who are pushing them out of their habitat with housing developments that is forcing them to wander through rain culverts into cities to find food.
So I tolerate it and make sure that there is some cat food out back for the opposums and cats and whatever else shows up. I don't think the raccoons have been around for a week. It is a tough situation for them.

Bookmark   October 1, 2010 at 2:14AM
More Discussions
Plants that like wet feet
I'm a novice gardener with what would appear to be...
Maddie.123
My tiny bog garden
This was my first attempt at growing carnivorous plants....
timhensley_gw
Growing lotus from seed
I've created a small Web site showing photos of lotus...
glycera
Blooming season of Mini Lotus - many pictures
White with deep purple tips, not 'picotee' but what...
jujujojo_gw
Arum lily
I have a very moist, very shady spot next to my water...
nightinggale
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™