Starting a bog garden

sbpage(7)September 8, 2004

I have an extremely wet, south facing, sunny area in my back yard where I'd like to start a bog garden. Do I really have to dig out all that mud, line it, add peat and sand, etc. or can I just plant the right plants in the muck as it is now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fredsbog

You can plant right in what you have, you should plant those plants that will do well in your soil conditions. a sunny wet area could be home to a number of nice wetland plants.

Bookmark   September 8, 2004 at 11:04PM
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

Depends on the species you wish to plant. If you want to plant species that require a certain ph or need other conditions controlled it will be more difficult (close to impossible) in that set-up.

If you wish to plant wetland species, blue flag, cardinal flower etc. go for it. You need to find species that will do well in your specific conditions.

Bookmark   September 9, 2004 at 11:21AM
lesleyjl(z7b-8a AZ)

I started one like you are thinking...a runoff from my pond. I didn't realize that you could dig it out and add all this stuff to it, I just went online and found bog plants that needed a bit of water on top. It is really nice and the plants, pickerel, horsetail, water nasturium, something called a potato plant, water iris,and mazus are spreading like wildfire. All go down to zone 5-7, so I should be ok in the winter. I found them at eBay or at another place, Az Aquatic Gardens...http://www.azgardens.com/winter_hardy_bog_plants.php
I have had good luck with this company, and they are really good with questions when you call, if they answer! LOL!!

Lesley

Bookmark   September 9, 2004 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
New To Bog Gardening
Hello Folks. I've got a small patch (approx. 8'x10')...
pauln
Plants to soak up water?
I wasnt sure what forum to post this in so I posted...
greengoblin72
Wattles in bloom?
Hey all. Are wattles blooming in your part of the country?...
wattle_Alex
cardinal flowers
Im on the pepper forum but also love perennials I collected...
pepperdave
Help me to create an ideal area for Gunnera
I have a hot dry yard, but I want to try growing Gunnera....
farslayr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™